Transmission System Operator
LS Power Development
Position Title: Transmission System Operator Date: November 2021
Reports To: Transmission Operations Supervisor Location: Austin, TX
General Position Description
LS Power Grid (LSPG) is seeking a Transmission System Operator. This position monitors, operates, and controls the LSPG transmission system through a central operations center; responds to system conditions, coordinates activities involving intrastate transmission grid systems within FERC, NERC, ERCOT, PJM and company operating guidelines to maximize reliability of electric service.
- Monitors, analyzes, and responds to electric system conditions by monitoring the flow of electricity through substations and over a network of transmission lines via the Energy Management System (EMS).
- Control electric transmission facilities in a safe and reliable manner in compliance with FERC, NERC, ERCOT, PJM and LSPG procedures, rules, and standards. Provide work direction to field personnel and coordinate with neighboring entities during normal and abnormal system conditions for the safe removal and return to service of sections of LSPG’s transmission system in accordance with approved operating and safety procedures.
- Monitor and control voltage levels and power flows on LSPG’s transmission system to maintain reliability. Analyze system operating conditions, interpret system data, and take appropriate corrective actions as required.
- Assist with development and maintenance of LSPG transmission operations and maintenance procedures, guides, and manuals.
- Implement and ensure adherence to safety standards during high-voltage switching and maintenance operations.
- Direct and/or remotely perform high-voltage switching operations during normal and abnormal conditions.
- Manage and communicate transmission outages while minimizing the disruption of generation or interchange schedules and maintaining compliance with regulatory and safety requirements.
- Assist EMS staff with maintenance of one-line diagrams and the EMS system.
- Complies with applicable guidelines, protocols, record keeping and retention requirements and rules of NERC, ERCOT, PJM and LSPG policies.
- Assist regulatory compliance department with NERC standards and other regulatory requirements.
- Attends required training classes to maintain NERC and PJM certification.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Must be self‑motivated, disciplined and possess effective skills necessary for the job as described. The ideal candidate will be a precise communicator, disciplined organizer, critical thinker and demonstrate superior judgment and decisiveness. A strong technical acuity in the areas of math and electrical principles desired.
Job Knowledge and Experience
- A valid Driver's License and a good driving record.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working in the electrical power industry or military power field. ERCOT and/or PJM area experience is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in transmission system operations for Senior Transmission Operator consideration.
- Must obtain a valid NERC Transmission Operator or Reliability Coordinator certification and PJM Transmission Operator certification within six months of initial hire date.
- Must have some formal education or training in regards to electrical industry work such as power plant operations, I&C technician, electrician or equivalent.
- Position requires strong competencies in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook).
Physical Tasks and Working Conditions
Performs rotating shift work in the Transmission Operations Control Center and is subject to provide relief support when requested. The work environment is a modern control room with sit/stand operator consoles, computer workstation interfaces to the EMS, communication equipment and wall board displays.
LS Power offers highly competitive compensation and benefits packages and is committed to the career development of its employees.
About this Employer
LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 41,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.