LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 42,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.
General Position Description
LS Power Grid (LSPG) is seeking a Transmission Operations Engineer supporting all aspects of electrical transmission operations, with a primary focus on real time planning and system simulation. Maintenance of SCADA systems and equipment will also be a key responsibility. This position is also responsible for developing programs, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with transmission operating reliability requirements, completing analytical studies and assessments, interpreting and advising transmission operations personnel of transmission system and network issues, training transmission operations personnel to ensure compliance with NYISO, NPCC, NERC, FERC and PSC along with providing regulatory audit support.
- Develop plans, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, and engineering studies associated with the operational planning, design, post mortem incident analysis, and maintenance of the LSPG transmission system.
- Develop and maintain EMS system models (i.e. power flow, state estimator, and network topology), coordinate operating models and modeling data with NYISO and neighboring utilities, maintain accurate records of analyses, data, and calculations.
- Provide training expertise to support reliable and compliant operation of LSPG transmission system.
- Provide engineering support to aid Transmission System Operators in responding to emergency situations.
- Evaluate LSPG transmission operations and maintenance processes, practices and procedures for compliance with regulatory requirements and develop mitigation plans to address deficiencies.
- Author and administer documentation and procedures for LSPG Operations according to area of responsibility.
- Support development, maintenance and implementation of LSPG Operations and corporate training program for assigned subject matter.
- Coordinate or perform the necessary load-flow studies for operating the transmission system in a reliable and safe manner. Support LSPG operations by performing or coordinating contingency analyses for planned system outages.
- Coordinate with EMS personnel to construct and deploy scenarios in the Operations Training Simulator.
- Encourage and foster a high level of safety awareness within the organization.
- Work closely with training administrators to develop content and track individual employee training progress.
- Conduct and review safety audits to ensure organization is in compliance with program requirements and goals.
- Identify safety and health risks and recommend appropriate steps to mitigate or eliminate risks.
- Represent LSPG on various working groups and committees within New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), Northeast Power Coordinating Council (NPCC) and North American Transmission Forum.
- May be requested to work as a system operator on substitute basis.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field desired
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in real-time operation and control of electric transmission and/or distribution systems, SCADA systems, and power system modeling.
- Must have a valid NERC Transmission Operator or Reliability Coordinator certification or obtain within 6 months of hiring.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proficiency with advanced software tools and EMS applications used for modeling, system simulation and scenario-based training.
- Preferred to have experience with NYISO Operations
- Pass a seven-year background check
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and with a good driving record
Works in a corporate office environment, however individual will make occasional visits to other regional operating facilities and field sites. Working hours are generally normal but circumstances or deadlines may dictate extended hours to complete required tasks. Operates computer equipment, uses phone daily, and travels (sometimes frequently) in accordance with business demands.
This position is available in our future office in Halfmoon, NY. LS Power offers highly competitive compensation and benefits packages and is committed to the career development of its employees.