Southern Current LLC is an experienced Solar and Storage Developer located in Charleston, SC. Southern Current LLC is seeking a Transmission Engineer who is interested in a solar and storage development strategy role to identify good locations on the grid to interconnect new solar and storage generation. The position will participate in regional internal interconnection feasibility studies and network upgrade cost estimate activities through the full life cycle of development and construction of projects leading to the successful execution of new asset growth across the respective region. This position is required to run Power Flow simulations of the utility’s network using models obtained from the utilities and adding new generation assumptions to it using Power Flow software and/or running PROMOD/PAT software to develop a SCED model. This position is also required to work with internal project developers/siting team, and external entities including Regional Transmission Organization (RTO), Independent Systems Operators (ISO), Transmission Providers (TP), and Transmission Owners (TO) to review and evaluate interconnection standards and study practices, transmission siting feasibility, system impact studies, facility studies, and Large Generator Interconnection Agreements (LGIA).
Preferred technical background includes experience in transmission planning and analysis, and previous employment with a utility, RTO or renewable energy company is a plus. Proficiency in power flow software or PROMOD is a must.
What You'll Do
The position will both lead and support as needed by internal stakeholders leading to the successful execution of both new and acquired projects across the United States.
- Gain proficiency in Transmission Providers' tariff, business practices, interconnection standards, interconnection study practices, cost allocation methodologies, transmission planning standards, and transmission system performance evaluation criteria Possess understanding of regional transmission plans and operational practices
- Perform load flow and other studies to identify the optimal locations for the placement of generator resources across the targeted study/focus region
- Run PROMOD and PAT to develop SCED models to determine the congestion and curtailment risk using LMP pricing.
- Implement the optimal interconnection strategy
- Perform the network upgrade cost estimates for the proposed projects
- Verify and challenge System Impact and Facility Study results
- Participate in negotiation with Transmission Providers to reach reasonable resolutions
- Participate in negotiation of alternative low-cost network upgrade solutions with transmission owner
- Conduct Day One analyses to minimize curtailment by optimizing network upgrade construction scheduling, resolving transmission issues by investors, and supporting ISO's Quarterly Operating Limit Studies or Limited Operation Interconnection Service studies
- Technical background, including experience in transmission systems planning or generator interconnection process, and previous employment with a utility, an ISO, or a renewable energy company.
- 2+ years work history in renewable or traditional energy development, or transmission planning.
- Understanding of Open Access Transmission Tariffs and Generator Interconnection Procedures and Study Methodologies for US ISO/RTO regions (PJM, NYISO, CAISO, MISO, WECC, SPP).
- Proficiency in power flow software or PROMOD
- Powerworld, GE PSLF, MUST, TARA and Siemens PSS/E experience
- PROMOD Experience
- Power Anayltics Tool (PAT) Experience
Education and Certifications
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field.