Supervisor, Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations “OS”
Saipan, Northern Marianas Islands, USA
$56,439.00 - $77,479.00 per annum, Exempt
2 Year Contract
The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (“CUC”) is a government utility providing power, water, and wastewater services in the Northern Mariana Islands (NMI), a U.S. Commonwealth in the western pacific. This position is as required by paragraph 11 of Stipulated Order Number One of the United States of America vs. the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands. This position is sometimes referred to with a slightly different word combination; but the key term is “OS” (Operations Supervisor).
The incumbent will be under the direct supervision of the Drinking Water and Wastewater Division Manager or “DM” (also known as the Division Manager for Water and Wastewater) who reports directly to the Deputy Executive Director or “DED” (also known as the Deputy Director for Water and Wastewater).
- The OS will oversee the WWTP operations on all the islands of Saipan, Tinian and Rota or as applicable.
- The OS is required to understand, develop and implement a comprehensive sanitary collection system condition and assessment program as required under the Stipulated Order.
- Knowledge of asset management procedures and application of SCADA protocols are a plus.
- Understand and use of television and grouting systems for collection system maintenance and FOG (Fats, Oils and Grease) applications are expected.
- Assist and participate in strategic planning efforts, development of long term planning and visioning pursuits, and grant development applications.
- Additional duties and responsibilities are as directed and required.
Education: Completion of two (2) years of college, with major courses in sciences, math, or other appropriate fields.
Experience: Three (3) to five (5) years of experience as a supervisor in a wastewater treatment plant utilizing activated sludge secondary treatment processes.
Knowledge of: Thorough knowledge of the operating principles and maintenance requirements of an activated sludge wastewater treatment plant that operates at a capacity of at least one and a half (1 1/2) mgd, including primary and secondary treatment processes, oxygen production, and sludge digestion and dewatering. Knowledge and pursuit of all regulatory requirements needed to meet treatment level specifications pertaining to island water quality guidelines. Familiarity and knowledge of best practices recommended by the American Water Works Association (AWWA) and Water Environment Federation (WEF) in pursuit of a standard meeting a utility of Future classification.. Skills in: Demonstrate proven supervisory and communication skills.
- A current Grade III (Level 3) Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator’s Certificate and a Grade III (Level 3) Wastewater Collection Operator’s Certificate from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or from an authorized alternative (such as from the NMI Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)).
- Physical Demands:
- Occasional lifting of objects; Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
All applicants may be tested and all applicants are subject to pre-employment drug test.
Relocation Expenses: If hired from outside the CNMI, relocation expenses are negotiable; but they are not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving to Saipan and not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving away from Saipan. Receipts will be required for justification. Other conditions may be applicable.
Please submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, (3) a list of references, (4) a CUC Employment Application and (5) copy of supporting documents by one of the following means:
- United States Postal Service, First Class Mail or Priority Mail:
Human Resource Office
Commonwealth Utilities Corporation
P.O. Box 501220
Saipan, MP 96950-1220 USA
*If you choose to submit via USPS, please still also fax “or” email “or” drop off your package.
- Fax: 670-235-5131
- Drop Off: Drop off your package at the CUC Human Resource Office located on the 3rd Floor of the Joeten Dandan Building on Saipan, Monday – Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm (Except Legal Holidays). Otherwise, you may drop it off at the CUC Tinian or Rota Administration Office.
Policies: The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation is an equal opportunity provider and employer and will not discriminate or tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.
It is also the policy of CUC to achieve a drug-free workplace and person selected for employment will be required to pass a drug test which screens for illegal drug use prior to final appointment.
About this Employer
The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (“CUC”) is a government utility providing power, water, and wastewater services in the Northern Mariana Islands NMI), a U.S. commonwealth in the western pacific.