LS Power Development
Position Title: Substation Operator Date: November 2021
Reports To: Field Operations Manager Location: Halfmoon, NY
LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 42,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
This position supports the regulated electric transmission business of LS Power. Specifically, this position will be based in upstate New York and be responsible for field operations at newly constructed transmission facilities within the greater Albany area. The candidate will support both operations and maintenance of high-voltage substation equipment including GIS switchgear, SF6 breakers, power transformers, disconnect switches and control building equipment. The successful candidate will be an experienced Substation Operator with the requisite training and experience to perform the job requirements with the highest regard to safety and professionalism.
- Plan, coordinate and submit outage requests in coordination with the LSP Transmission Operations group
- Coordinate and execute electrical clearances, perform field switching operations and administer lock out and tagging procedures
- Direct and indirect supervision of various craft laborers to include linemen, journeymen, construction contractors and vegetation management service providers
- Read and understand engineering schematics and technical documents pertaining to electrical transmission protection systems and associated communication equipment
- Perform routine substation and transmission line equipment inspections
- Maintain accurate records including test results, drawings and maintenance documentation for associated equipment and devices
- Assist with event investigations by retrieving relay fault records and operational data from station equipment
- Utilize computerized work management software to create work orders, build job plans, track maintenance, order equipment and maintain inventories
- Provide on-call support as requested to investigate and respond to events such as security alarms, relay operations and system disturbances
- Routinely interface with vendors, interconnected utilities, landowners, contractors and consultants in the performance of daily responsibilities
- Requires frequent local travel, some overnight trips and subject to 24-hour, on-call duty rotations
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Must be self‑motivated, disciplined and possess effective skills necessary for the job as described. Required skills include good communication, organization, critical thinking and a strong knowledge of substation operations, maintenance and troubleshooting.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Completion of a technical or vocational training program as a substation or relay technician
- 5 – 10 years of relevant experience with an electrical utility or testing services contractor
- Possess superior knowledge and understanding of maintenance work performed by contract personnel involving substation equipment including transformers, circuit breakers and switches
- A basic understanding of protective relaying, communication, metering, and SCADA systems
- Familiarity with specialized technical software and test equipment utilized for substation maintenance activities
- Knowledge and understanding of electric utility business principles, compliance programs and operations is a plus
Routinely works in an energized, substation environment but will also have a workspace in a corporate office with a warehouse/workshop and remote inventory material yard. The Company will supply a truck, tools and all required PPE. The individual may have occasional visits to other regional operating facilities and field sites for training purposes. Working hours are generally normal but circumstances or deadlines may dictate extended hours to complete required tasks. Operates computer equipment, uses phone daily, and frequently travels regionally in accordance with operational demands.
This position is available in Halfmoon, NY. LS Power offers highly competitive compensation and benefits packages and is committed to the career development of its employees.
About this Employer
LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 41,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.