Senior Relay Technician
LS Power Development
Position Title: Senior Relay Technician Date: November 2021
Reports To: Field Operations Manager Location: Halfmoon, NY
LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 42,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
This position supports the regulated electric transmission business of LS Power. Specifically, this position will be based in upstate New York and be responsible for protective relaying and SCADA/communication systems at newly constructed transmission facilities within the greater Albany area. The job scope involves protective relays, SCADA and communication gear, metering equipment and high-voltage equipment including GIS switchgear, SF6 circuit breakers, power transformers and disconnect switches. The successful candidate will be an experienced Relay Technician with the requisite training and vocational experience to perform the job requirements with the highest regard to safety and professionalism.
- Read and understand engineering schematics and technical literature pertaining to electrical transmission protection systems and associated communication equipment
- Support the preventative maintenance program for transmission protective relay systems
- Maintain accurate records including test results, drawings and maintenance documentation on associated equipment and devices
- Assist with event investigations by retrieving relay fault records and operational data from field devices
- Maintain and update relay settings and SCADA system configurations as directed by engineering
- Support construction projects through testing and commissioning of substation equipment, including field apparatuses, protective relay systems, SCADA and communication systems
- Provide first responder support as needed to investigate relay operations and system disturbances
- Routinely interface with vendors, interconnected utilities, contractors and consultants in the performance of daily responsibilities
- Develop customized test plans for relays and SCADA equipment using specialized software
- Utilize various test sets to perform functional system tests on relays and other intelligent electronic devices
- Capable of performing and directing substation apparatus maintenance and commissioning procedures for breakers, power transformers, instrument transformers, disconnect switches and other equipment and components
- Requires frequent local travel, some overnight trips and subject to 24 hour, on-call duty assignments
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Must be self‑motivated, disciplined and possess effective skills necessary for the job as described. Required skills include good communication, organization, critical thinking and a strong knowledge of substation operations, maintenance and troubleshooting.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Completion of a technical or vocational training program as a relay or substation technician
- 7+ years of relevant experience with an electrical utility or testing services contractor
- Possess superior knowledge and understanding of maintenance work performed by contract personnel involving substation equipment including transformers, circuit breakers and switches
- An expert understanding of protective relaying, communication, metering, and SCADA systems
- Familiarity with specialized technical software and test equipment utilized for substation maintenance activities
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable NERC compliance standards and electric utility business operating practices a plus
Routinely works in an energized, substation environment but will also have a workspace in a corporate office with a warehouse/relay lab/workshop and remote inventory material yard. The Company will supply a truck, tools and all required PPE. The individual may have occasional visits to other regional operating facilities and field sites for training purposes. Working hours are generally normal but circumstances or deadlines may dictate extended hours to complete required tasks. Operates computer equipment, uses phone daily, and frequently travels regionally in accordance with operational demands.
This position is available in Halfmoon, NY. LS Power offers highly competitive compensation and benefits packages and is committed to the career development of its employees.
About this Employer
LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 41,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.