Resource Planning Analyst
North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation
Summary Description: The Resource Planning Analyst will work in the Energy Portfolio group analyzing, implementing, and executing mid-term and long-term strategies within the NCEMC portfolio. This position requires strong analytical ability and uses problem-solving skills to provide qualitative and quantitative backed solutions. Position involves data analytics, resource planning, portfolio optimization, working with numerous internal and external teams, and software and digital tools, to plan and optimize a complex portfolio of power supply resources.
Academic and Trade Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree is required. Degree in related field such as Engineering, Economics, Finance, Business, or Data Analytics preferred. Experience with electric utilities, Resource Planning, Trading, or Electric Cooperatives is strongly preferred.
Work Experience: 1-5 years in business analytics, resource planning, energy market optimization and forecasting, or electric utility portfolio optimization.
- Gather and analyze data related to NCEMC’s electric portfoliousing Microsoft Excel, Access, and other internal tools
- Execute studies of potential new resources and modifications to existing resources using modeling tools
- Assist with annual budget and long-term forecast for NCEMC’s resource portfolio
- Leading tasks and coordinating with teams to deliver planning and portfolio optimization solutions
- Utilize analytical tools and execute strategies to improve accuracy and efficiency
- Monitor developments and trends of electric utility industry including legislative and regulatory impacts
- Employ risk management principles across portfolio including fuel and power market hedging
- Support other groups at NCEMC including Near-Term Optimization and Finance
- Manage renewable resources through contracting and compliance
- Support data and information requirements for participation in the PJM RTO
- Monitor fuel and power market behavior for economic and operational opportunities
- Report on portfolio metricsand recommend improvement strategies to increase value
- Create presentations and reports that clearly communicate research, strategies, and results to management
- Support NCEMC’s Brighter Future initiatives
- Perform other duties as directed
Job Knowledge: Analytical problem-solving knowledge and an understanding of optimization concepts are required. Understanding of energy markets, power purchase agreements, renewables, energy storage, modeling, and managing complex projects is strongly preferred.
Abilities and Skills:
- Analytical mindset with a desire to problem solve
- Financial analysis using Microsoft Excel and other tools
- Active, engaging, and enthusiastic team contributor
- Ability to prioritize and plan multiple projects while achieving firm milestones
- Desire to improve internal processes using automation and other lean techniques
- Ability to work with diverse and numerous internal and external teams
- Experience with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access (VBA and SQL a plus)
- Experience with resource planning and production cost modeling software a plus
- Able to work in normal office conditionsboth remote and in-person
- Perform well both individually and within a team
- Able to be responsible for a project from start to finish
- Strong communications skills with an emphasis on conveying concise conclusions verbally and visually
Relationships and Contacts:
- Reports to Manager of Resource Planning
- Work with internal and external groups both as a team member and a project leader
Working Conditions: Normal office conditions with occasional overtime and minimal travel. Work in a hybrid office environment which includes in office and remote work.
Company Profile: North Carolina’s Electric Cooperatives is the brand for the family of organizations formed to support the state’s 26 local electric cooperatives, including: North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation, the power supplier to many of the electric cooperatives; North Carolina Association of Electric Cooperatives, the cooperatives’ trade association; and Tarheel Electric Membership Association, Inc. (TEMA), a central purchasing and materials-supply cooperative.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment.
About this Employer
North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation (NCEMC) is one of the largest generation and transmission electric cooperatives in the nation, providing reliable, affordable electricity to its 25 member cooperatives. NCEMC owns power generation assets, purchases electricity through contracts, identifies innovative energy projects and coordinates transmission resources for its members.