The Reliability Coordinator Operations Project Engineer (RCOPE) is the primary Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the technology applications that support the FRCC Reliability Coordinator (RC) function on behalf of the FRCC membership. The RCOPE is also one of the FRCC employees who perform the FRCC Operations Planning Coordinator (OPC) function.
The purpose of the RCOPE position is to improve the reliability of the FRCC RC function by facilitating and providing ongoing technical and project management support to RC and OPC processes. The overarching responsibility of this position is to promote Bulk Electric System (BES) reliability by ensuring the operations planning and real-time models of the BES are as accurate as possible. This position reports to the MRCOO.
Although the RCOPE position is based in Miami, it requires close coordination with FRCC MS Regulatory and FRCC Operations staff in Tampa, as well as the RC Agent’s Operations staff in Miami.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supports the modification of FRCC transmission load flow cases, the performance of various studies and sensitivities using the FRCC BES model, and the performance of benchmark studies comparing the planning model to the real-time model with comparison to real-time measurements.
- Supports the maintenance of accurate FRCC models based on planned BES changes.
- Performs the FRCC Operations Planning function on a shared and ongoing basis with other FRCC staff to ensure reliable operations and demonstrable compliance with FRCC processes and procedures.
- Performs the OPC role on a shared basis with other FRCC staff (approximately 2 weeks per month), which includes performing 7-day and 28-day studies (excluding seasonal studies) to ensure potential reliability issues are addressed proactively. In addition to distributing and posting study results, the position leads weekly OPC conference calls to ensure coordination between members.
- Facilitates the activities of the FRCC Operations Planning Working Group (OPWG), including development of agendas, action item tracking, facilitating updates to associated documents, and ensuring that OPWG activities support the reliable operation of the FRCC BES.
- Provides project management support related to the maintenance of the FRCC RC model within the RC. Agent Energy Management System (EMS) including Real-time modeling issues by coordinating resolution with RC Agent staff.
- Serves as the primary liaison between the RC Agent EMS support group and external FRCC entities.
- Coordinates the RC Agent EMS database updates on behalf of the FRCC entities, to include facilitation of periodic meetings between the RC Agent and external entities.
- Serves as the primary liaison between the FRCC RC and the FRCC Data Exchange Working Group (DEWG), which includes facilitating monthly DEWG meetings, action item tracking, facilitating updates to associated documents, and hosting one yearly meeting in Miami.
- Documents and tracks RC suggested changes to EMS displays as well as other RC suggestions for improving the RC function, processes, and tools - updated monthly.
- Reviews and approves the Equipment Status Report for posting on a periodic basis to ensure that the OPC and the RC Agent’s EMS models reflect anticipated and/or real operating conditions.
- Performs benchmark studies comparing FRCC OPC study results to next-day study results and real-time operations contingency analysis results to identify potential process or modeling issues.
- Performs other activities to support the FRCC RC function and other Member Services functions including FRCC or NERC special projects (e.g., specific data requests and/or new initiatives), RC applications development, and IDCWG staff support
- Supports, develops, and administers FRCC RC operator training topics on a periodic basis. Develops and delivers FRCC training topics to FRCC operating entities.
- Serves as the onsite FRCC management representative to the RC Agent when the FRCC MRCOO is unavailable and performs any necessary onsite tasks (e.g., review RC logs and voice communications) or RC operator support on behalf of the MRCOO.
- Ensures that assigned processes, procedures, and guides (PPGs) are accurate, timely, and appropriate. Performs periodic reviews to existing PPGs or develops new PPGs to support BES reliability and FRCC operating entities.
- Periodically performs operations reviews with accompanying documentation and leads RC Agent meetings as needed.
- Supports ongoing reliable and compliant operation of the RC function by responding to requests from various member groups.
- Represents the FRCC RC function as a technical and applications SME as well as an RC SME interface to registered entities on behalf of the FRCC ORS. Ensures that company policies and operating practices implemented within the FRCC RC footprint support FRCC BES reliability; demonstrates compliance to applicable NERC Reliability Standards.
- Follows secure data handling practices, including all security related policies and procedures. Completes all assigned security training. Reports all observed security incidents and suspicious activities promptly.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, with Professional Engineer certification and NERC RC certifications preferred.
- Seven (7) or more years of experience in bulk electric system operation, with demonstrable ability to perform the essential job functions. Experience with PSSE and technical procedure writing preferred.
- Knowledge of NERC Reliability Standards.
- A strong understanding of bulk power operations is ideal, especially if the experience includes the operation of the Florida electrical grid or the operation of transmission systems, Energy Management Systems (EMS), and BES protection systems design and operation.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail for timely and accurate completion.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to analyze data and facts to gather relevant information to form recommendations to management.
- Ability to build consensus and support teams in a professional manner.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
This job operates in a professional office environment. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to communicate effectively, remain in a stationary position for prolonged periods (at least 50% of the time) and remain standing or seated for prolonged periods (at least 50% of time). Must be able to routinely move about inside the office to access files and office machinery, occasionally lift 10+ pounds of office supplies and files to load onto shelves, and constantly operate a computer and other office machinery.
Travel for this position is anticipated to be approximately 15%, but may vary.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSTION:** Please direct your cover letter and resume to FRCC as follows (no calls please):
HR1@frcc.com (email preferred)
FRCC – Attn. Human Resources / 3001 North Rocky Point Drive East, Suite 410 / Tampa, Florida 33607
** FRCC is an EEO/AA Employer.
** All offers of employment shall be contingent on drug/alcohol screening, conflict check, and complete background check.