We are looking for a Real Time Trader / Analyst to join our corporate team at our Burlington office!
The Real Time Trader reports to our Senior Manager, Real Time & Day Ahead, and is responsible for supporting delivery of financial results versus budget within the values and ethics of the company. This position will work with our dynamic and innovative Real Time and Commercial teams to develop and implement real-time dispatch strategies for optimizing our portfolio of generating assets.
The Real Time Trader will work on a 24x7x365 desk on a rotating 12-hour shift schedule.
*position currently fully remote. Effective September 7, 2021, this position will be hybrid eligible (combination of onsite/remote work)
- Develops asset dispatch strategies for optimizing our portfolio of generating assets.
- Responsible for submission of bids and offers into ISO’s systems, ensuring timeliness and correctness.
- Developing and operating models and support tools daily that are used to forecast future market prices.
- Ensures successful integration of positions into the portfolio.
- Maintains a continuous operation picture of fleet performance, position, and risks.
- Single point of contact with plant control room operators to respond to operational plant issues.
- Responsible for maintaining up-to-the minute status and for keeping documentation of important information (unit availability, generation level, dispatch base points, generation cost, fuel inventory, market prices, etc.).
- Understands and conveys important pass down information at each shift-change.
- Identifying and executing on new data or model methodologies that can be used to improve our analytics
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Ability to be physically mobile (stand, walk, reach, climb, bend) and also the ability to sit for prolonged periods throughout the day/work hours.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate keyboard, copier, telephone, and the ability to write and/or type.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
Qualifications / Skills
- 2-5 years of energy experience in Real Time Trading strategies or analytics for optimizing generating assets in ISO-NE, PJM, and NYSO
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, engineering, or related field required.
- PJM or NERC certification preferred.
- Familiarity with ISO rules is required.
- Strong understanding of the electricity market fundamentals.
- Knowledge of various structured markets and bilateral physical markets.
- Must possess strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Highly quantitative with the ability to do thorough analysis.
- High degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Visual Basic, Data base knowledge, and one or more programming languages
- Working knowledge of risk management.
- Adapts to working in a constantly changing environment, bidding strategies, unit commitment strategies.
- Ability to work rotating 12-hour shifts on a 24-hour desk, which includes working some weekends and holidays. Night shifts and weekend shifts can be worked from remote location.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy.
Why Work for FirstLight?
We consider our employees to be FirstLight’s most valuable resource and we strive to provide a challenging, collegial, and rewarding workplace. FirstLight embraces a company-wide commitment to recruit, develop and retain a dedicated, diverse, and engaged workforce that is motivated to be ever better both professionally and personally.
Joining the FirstLight team is an opportunity to experience a unique and exciting culture. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Flex Spending & Health Savings Accounts
- Life and Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with Employer Contributions
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development
- Referral Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Charitable Matching Program
And so much more!
FirstLight is a leading clean power producer and energy storage company with a portfolio that includes nearly 1.4GW of pumped-hydro storage (including Northfield Mountain, the largest energy storage facility in New England), battery storage, hydroelectric generation, and solar generation—the largest clean energy generation portfolio operating in New England today. We have approximately 125 employees based in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and our corporate headquarters are located in Burlington, MA.
Our mission and vision is to accelerate the decarbonization of the electric grid by owning, operating, and integrating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets to meet the region’s growing clean energy needs and to deliver an electric system that is clean, reliable, affordable, and equitable.
Building upon our industry-leading experience in operating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets, FirstLight’s vision and commitment to leading the energy industry transformation makes us uniquely positioned to navigate rapidly evolving market conditions and grow our portfolio in New England and other US markets in the years ahead.
FirstLight values the following characteristics and behaviors in our team members:
- Respect: Showing respect for each other and the environment, fostering an inclusive and diverse team of employees, and providing a strong commitment to social responsibility
- Integrity: Exemplifying integrity in all business decisions highlighted through honesty, transparency, and trust.
- Safety: Providing a safe environment for our employees and for all visitors to our recreational facilities.
- Excellence: Continually striving to achieve the greatest level of operational excellence so that we produce the highest quality output and consistently deliver results.
- Innovation: Dedication to creating new market-leading solutions to stay ahead of unprecedented changes in the energy industry.
- Team: Creating an inspiring workplace that fosters open communication, collaboration, and accelerates personal growth. We seek to attract, retain, and develop the best talent in the industry to fuel our success. Diversity is a strategic advantage we need to cultivate.
FirstLight provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, we make our hiring and employment decisions on the basis of merit. Except as otherwise provided by law, employment practices will not be affected by an applicant’s or an employee’s race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy, criminal record, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. In addition to federal law requirements, FirstLight complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.