Depending on the volume of applications, this position may close to external applicants before the job posting end date expires.
Becoming the leading energy company in Louisiana - helping our people and state thrive - means being mindful of the larger opportunities and evolving needs of all those we serve. So today at Cleco, we’re working from a view that starts behind the lines. Where we can see the full picture of possibilities and technologies. To line up our customers and communities with systems and services that power the good life today. And better lives tomorrow. We’ve always believed that electricity is something more than just electrons. To us, it’s the fuel for more productive days and work. The current that brings all of us closer together. The conduit that connects Louisiana’s present to Louisiana’s future.
We are looking for Quantitative Risk Analyst. The Analyst will develop and deliver the middle office risk management function analytical capabilities and on-going risk analysis to support portfolio risk management, transaction pricing and valuation, capital adequacy and credit risk analysis. As a key member of the corporate risk management function also participates in improving processes and procedures, developing and documenting adequate controls for models and systems, and preparing desk and executive level reports and presentations.
- Apply leading quantitative and data analysis methods using third party software and custom built models to assess, analyze and monitor market, credit, operational, business and capital requirements adequacy risk for a physical and contractual energy portfolio that includes generating assets, fuel supply contracts, hedging transactions and long-term power sales agreements.
- Collaborate with risk management team to adequately evaluate risks and optionalities embedded in the regulated and unregulated business portfolios.
- Define and develop portfolio risk models to measure value at risk, gross margin at risk, cash flow at risk and potential capital requirements, inclusive of scenario analysis, stress tests, back tests, and performance analysis to appropriately measure portfolio and drivers of value and risk.
- Perform structured transaction valuation and hedging scenario analysis to support regulated and unregulated portfolio transaction and strategic initiatives.
- Develop models, incorporating stochastic processes and Monte Carlo simulations to assess, analyze, monitor and identify opportunities to mitigate market price and volumetric risk exposure.
- Prepare and deliver risk analysis and executive and desk level reports and presentations to support Company and Risk Management objectives
- Model and promote ethical business conduct and compliance with both the letter and spirit of all laws, rules and regulations to which Cleco is subject.
- Business insight - Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals. Understands how changes in the marketplace affect the business. Stays informed about business news relevant to own area of expertise. Knows how own actions impact critical business drivers. Uses knowledge about the business and industry to guide decisions and own work.
- Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward. Demonstrates good judgment in routine, day-to-day decision making. Makes sound independent decisions in urgent and non-routine situations. Considers various inputs, criteria, and trade-offs to arrive at effective decisions and recommendations. Uses good judgment about whether to act independently or to escalate an issue.
- Interpersonal savvy - Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.. Communicates complex analytics subjects to non-analytical professionals. Develops relationships to form inter-company collaborative partnerships with a service orientation.
- Optimizes work processes - Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement. Addresses process breakdowns with speed and thoroughness. Uses process analysis methods like metrics and benchmarks. Focuses efforts on both processes and results. Modifies own work activities and methods to eliminate wasted effort and inefficiencies.
- Financial Reporting & Data Analysis - Demonstrates understanding of risk and financial performance metrics, risk and financial reporting processes and data sources. Helps develop different report types that is required in various situations.
- Financial Modeling - Displays command of financial models, the inputs, data architecture, and the factors required to build a model. Demonstrates deep understanding of business processes and how financial models should be structured to suit such processes. Identifies common financial modeling errors and preemptively builds detection for these errors into models.
- Financial Systems - Identifies the full range of reference and resource materials to store and retrieve various types of financial and risk data. Uses the available information contributing to define new and better ways of managing system information, including valuation tools, ETRM software and market data interfaces, Python and R open source code, Tableau and other tools used for risk management and enterprise reporting.
- Financial and Commodity Transaction Management - Identifies the impact of transactions for the end-to-end processes within area of responsibility. Ensures accurate and complete data and compliance with company processes by applying consistent operational policies and controls. Demonstrates understanding of system entries, manual transactions, and interdependencies.
Job Level Profile: Qualifications / Progression
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting (analytic discipline and/or data analysis preferred)
- Advanced degree and/or certifications in an analytic discipline and data analysis preferred
- Greater than 3 years of direct experience
- Options pricing theory including Greek returns for risk analysis and decision making
- Previous experience with business intelligence software such as Spotfire, Tableau of MS Power BI
- Previous experience with Monte Carlo simulation software such as Palisades @Risk or Crystal Ball
- Experience with commonly used ETRM software and data aggregation services such as PCI, Allegro, Marketview, Morningstar, Lacima, Aurora, Plexos and similar
- Skilled in data detailed analysis of large data sets using Python, R, & SQL.
- MISO or similar electricity market structure experience preferred
- Preferred candidate should possess or be working towards a CFA, GARP ERP or PRMIA PRM.
About this Employer
Cleco Corporate Holdings LLC is a regional energy holding company that conducts its business operations through two subsidiaries, Cleco Power and Cleco Cajun. Headquartered in Pineville, Louisiana, and in business since 1935, the company has approximately 1,500 employees.
Cleco Power is a regulated electric public utility that owns 10 generating units with a total nameplate capacity of 3,360 megawatts, 11,935 miles of distribution lines and 1,317 miles of transmission lines. Cleco Power uses multiple generating sources and multiple fuels to serve approximately 288,000 customers in Louisiana through its retail business and supplies wholesale power in Louisiana and Mississippi. The company also has access to purchased power when it’s needed and when it’s more cost effective than our generation.
Cleco Cajun is an unregulated utility company that owns eight generating assets with a total nameplate capacity of 3,555 megawatts and contracts serving nine Louisiana cooperatives, three wholesale municipal customers and one electric utility.