Planning Engineer I or II
Dairyland Power Cooperative
Are you ready to join an organization where we focus on People First, have fun at work and make a difference in what we do?
Dairyland is proud of our People First culture centered around appreciation, celebrating wins and collaboration. We’ve worked hard to ensure alignment between our culture and our processes and systems, learning and development and rewards and recognition programs.
As a team, we work together to leverage the team’s diverse perspectives, ideas and experiences to deliver nothing less than the best. We are collaborative, transparent and committed to our People and their work experience, growth and professional development.
The purpose of the Planning Engineer I or II position is to develop, coordinate and recommend transmission plans to ensure safe, adequate and reliable transmission capacity consistent with applicable planning criteria.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Perform detailed analyses to assess transmission system performance, determine future transmission and substation requirements and prepare comprehensive reports recommending optimal system upgrade plans and normal operating configurations.
2. Develop and maintain databases for power flow models. Prepare Dairyland’s annual regional power flow model data submittal. Monitor regional power flow model update postings as necessary to keep Dairyland’s models current.
3. Conduct engineering economic analysis of operating and facility addition alternatives.
4. Participate in MISO planning processes and coordinate with neighboring utilities on transmission system planning.
5. Participate on MISO and inter-utility (joint study) task forces and working groups as a representative of Dairyland. Prepare data submittals to MISO, MRO, RUS, state agencies, NATF, SPP, etc.
6. Monitor and provide input to MISO to aid in the evaluation of generation interconnection requests. Coordinate Interconnection Facilities Studies and negotiate necessary agreements with generators connecting to the Dairyland transmission system.
7. Prepare three-year and ten-year RUS transmission work plans and associated three-year and long-range transmission capital budget studies.
8. Compile historical transmission reliability data and communicate results and trends. Participate in transmission reliability benchmarking initiatives.
9. Review Member Cooperative work plans. Verify that recommendations are reached utilizing “single-system” planning. Summarize work plan recommendations for internal routing.
10. Maintain and enhance the State Estimator and the Real-Time Contingency Analysis applications. Maintain Dairyland’s EMS Network Model due to system changes.
11. Provide back-up support to the Operations Engineers for the outage coordination function, including assistance in operating studies for the development of operating guides.
12. In coordination with Compliance, provide technical support and documentation to satisfy applicable NERC compliance standards.
13. Represent System Operations on construction and maintenance project management teams and organizational strategic efforts.
14. Support Dairyland’s generation development and resource planning as they relate to the transmission system.
15. Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical (power option preferred) Engineering or directly related major and 4+ years’ experience in Transmission or Operations Planning preferred.
Experience in power flow analysis including EMS network applications preferred. General computer literacy is required and experience with Excel, Word, and Power Point is preferred. An understanding of Engineering Economics is required. Requires good verbal and written communication skills. Team-oriented and independent worker having routine and variable tasks. Must be highly autonomous; show much independence with variably paced tasks and pressures.
Licenses and Certifications
Professional Engineering Registration desirable.
Other Job Characteristics
Frequent interactions with interconnected companies, distribution cooperatives and MISO.
We are committed to providing our greatest asset, our People, with as many perks and benefits as possible. Some benefits of working with us include:
- Health & disability benefits (medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability)
- Life insurance
- Generous 401(k) and Pension Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Robust Wellness Program
- Flexible Work Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- So much more!