Manager, Utility Relations
Working closely with Permitting, Legal, Project Delivery, Engineering and Construction, Government Affairs and Sales, this person navigates opportunities and hurdles to ensure the successful, timely buildout of Crown Castle’s communications infrastructure. The Manager, Utility Relations is responsible for negotiating complex utility agreements based on federal and state telecommunications regulations with utilities (investor owned electric utilities and telephone companies) as well as coordinating the resolution of national utility issues that impact Crown’s ability to meet customer objectives.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and execute a market-specific strategy for utilities that aligns with Crown Castle’s business goals.
- Coordinate and monitor response to utility regulations changes, advising Crown management on progress.
- Strengthen relationships with utilities, serving as an advocate for Crown Castle and a lead contact and escalation point.
- Negotiate utility agreements as needed in accordance with Crown Castle guidelines, the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 Section 224, and state regulations covering pole and conduit attachments.
- Advise and serve as internal point of escalation for Network and Tower groups with regard to pole and conduit access rights, power delivery, and project deployment
- Responsibility for application to “on air” timeline ensuring disciplined delivery throughout the process to expedite customer’s use of our site while maintaining Crown Castle standards and policies. This includes responsibility for team’s accurate forecasting and reporting.
- Assist legal and regulatory teams to anticipate and promote state and federal legislation, FCC, and municipal code and/or zoning ordinance changes
- Leads and directs the work of a geographically distributed team, driving innovation and collaboration to ensure key financial and performance metrics are achieved
- Provide training and supervision for the team and internal functional groups.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in utility industry
- A minimum of five (5) to seven (7) or more years proven experience working in a utility or for a utility vendor required.
- Knowledge of the rules and policies of the FCC and State Public Utilities Commissions, NESC, OSHA, RF emissions regulations and other industry standards, as well as an ability to read construction plans/drawings is necessary
- Negotiation experience required.
- Experience in presenting and speaking to the public and utilities required, including extemporaneous and prepared speeches is required.
- Experience working on goal-driven, cross-functional teams required.
- Strategic Mindset – Assesses future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Manages Complexity – Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes-contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Manages Ambiguity - Operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Plans & Aligns – Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals. Conveys clear objectives and ensures alignment across organization.
- Builds Networks – Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization. Builds influential connections across boundaries.
- Builds Effective Teams – Building strong identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Courage - Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said. Will confidently take a stand for their beliefs when faced with opposition.
Crown Castle is a federal contractor and the COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of employment by your start date to comply with Executive Order 14042.
This role falls into our hybrid work model working in your assigned office approximately 60% of the time (3 days per week) and where you do your best work 40% (2 days per week).
There is an expectation of collaboration with teammates and stakeholders for moments that matter that requires up to 25% travel.