DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises engineers and/or technicians who perform the tasks of distribution planning to forecast changes on the electric distribution system grid and recommends appropriate modifications to the system to ensure safety, reliability, and cost efficiency.
- Ensures the activities of the department are always conducted in a safe manner and ensures the safety of the electric grid to the extent possible – Work Safe, Home Safe.
- Oversees the application of comprehensive technical knowledge of Electric System Planning for planning, general design, operation, and overcurrent protection of the electric distribution system to meet load serving, regulatory, and reliability needs of the Company.
- Plans for the growth of the electric distribution system including predicting load growth in all areas of the electric distribution system. Analyzes electric load growth to determine the adequacy of the electric distribution system.
- Coordinates and optimizes the project portfolios and budget process for Electric Operations for two-year and ten-year fixed capital project cycles.
- Leads the continued development and implementation of distribution planning best practices related to the IEEE 1547 Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems.
- Collaborates with Energy Technology Department engineers to deliver a variety of utility-scale renewable capital projects, distributed generation and gridedge projects, and energy service projects.
- Supports Distribution Asset Management Department responsibilities for developing and maintaining the planning models of the electric distribution system.
- Responsible for protective device settings and fuse coordination for equipment and devices installed on the distribution system.
- Develops engineering expertise and provides overall management for Smart Device Technology assets deployed to modernize and automate the electric distribution system.
- Manages the development of new concepts and methods, including non-wire alternatives, for distributing energy to serve customer load. Provides oversight to ensure the overall cost effectiveness and reliability of system design.
- Collaborates with other departments to research, evaluate, and integrate utility grid edge devices and distributed energy resource technologies, including solar, energy storage, microgrids, and electric vehicles to provide a reliable and resilient power grid.
- Supports business and residential customer programs, such as Shared Solar, Energy Storage, Demand Response, and Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure.
- Oversees department studies and analytics in planning for the integration of Distributed Energy Resources (DERs), as well as reliability studies and load growth projections.
- Organizes and develops assigned staff with appropriate management, professional, and supervisory techniques to provide increasingly effective performance.
- Integrates a continuous improvement and performance philosophy into all activities.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Engineering.
- Professional Engineer certification or ability to attain certification.
- Ten years of combined experience in electric distribution system operations, evaluation and analysis of power adequacy, and planning and design of an electric power delivery system.
- Previous supervisory experience desirable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Thorough knowledge of modern methods, techniques, and practices used in distribution planning and operations.
- Familiarity with the principles of supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of capital expenditure accounting and budgetary cost controls.
- Ability to direct complex engineering studies.
- Ability to interpret and explain applicable regulations, plans, and specifications.
- Ability to prepare or direct preparation of technical reports and analyses.
- Technical insight and sound judgment necessary to direct other engineers in resolving unusual problems.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze complex engineering issues.
- Proficiency with electric modeling software on distribution or transmission systems such as Synergi, PSS/E, or others.
- Proficient use of computers and application software programs such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Access, and Project.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.