Health & Safety Manager
LS Power Development, LLC
Health & Safety Manager
LS Power Development, LLC – St. Louis, MO,Austin, TX, Albany, NY or Remote
LS Power Development (LSP), is a dynamic development, investment, and operating company that was founded in 1990 which is focused on electric power generation and electric transmission, energy infrastructure and related investments. LSP is a private company with over 270 highly skilled professionals working in offices in New York, New Jersey, Missouri, California and Texas. Since inception, LSP has developed, constructed, managed, and acquired more than 38,000 MW of competitive power generation and over 660 miles of transmission infrastructure throughout the United States.
This position will focus on supporting the LSP portfolio of electrical transmission utilities located in Texas, Nevada, Indiana, California, Delaware, New York, and New Jersey. These entities have electric transmission facilities in the development, construction or operating phase with voltage between 230 and 500kV within several Regional Transmission Organizations including ERCOT, PJM, MISO, and CAISO. LSP and its affiliates are also developing several other projects around United States.
The Health and Safety Manager will direct, develop, and oversee the general health and safety programs of the organization. The individual will work closely with several departments including engineering, human resources, legal, construction management and operations and maintenance to ensure the workplace is in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) and other state, local, or industry specific regulations. The Health and Safety Manager will not supervise employees but will have access to administrative personnel and a training specialist that can assist with tracking training records and publishing training content. The administrative and training personnel currently manage the corporate Learning Management System (Quality Training Systems or QTS). Safety is a core component of LSP’s culture and this position has a significant leadership role in achieving the corporate mandate of a safe and incident-free work environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop, maintain, update and implement LSP’s corporate health & safety training program. Includes developing and maintaining policies and procedures that address relevant health & safety topics for the organization.
- Encourage and foster a high level of safety awareness within the organization.
- Create and conduct safety orientations and training as necessary.
- Work closely with training administrators to develop content and track individual employee training progress.
- Conduct and review safety audits to ensure organization and contractors are in compliance with program requirements and goals.
- Identify safety and health risks and recommend appropriate steps to mitigate or eliminate risks.
- Develop a systemic process to analyze accidents by collecting data, determining cause, issuing corrective procedures and authoring any required reporting.
- Implement initiatives to reduce and prevent accidents, occupational illnesses, and exposure to long-term health hazards.
- Lead executive health and safety committee.
- Participate in industry groups including the North American Transmission Forum
- Assist corporate development efforts by preparing and reviewing project proposals as they relate to health and safety.
- Assist with the development of project execution plans and safety orientation plans for construction projects as requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & MINIMUM EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree from a four-year college or university in occupational health, safety management, environmental science or relevant field is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a proven Health & Safety Manager in the electric transmission industry.
- Familiarity with OSHA training requirements particularly Subpart R 1910.269.
- Ideal candidate will understand the safety and health risks associated with working in the electrical energy industry and have a basic understanding of job requirements and hazards associated with high-voltage transmission lines and substation facilities.
- Strong knowledge of environmental, health, and safety regulations as they pertain to the energy industry, specifically the high-voltage electric transmission industry.
- Must be self‐motivated, disciplined and work well with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations.
- Effectively prepare reports, manuals, policies, procedures and business correspondence.
- Ability to implement job functions in a practical and effective manner.
- Communicate clearly and efficiently to all levels of the organization and with contractors, vendors, landowners, officials and the general public.
- Experience with learning management software (LMS) and learning management content development systems such as Articulate is desirable.
- Position requires strong competencies in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook).
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- A valid Driver's License and a good driving record.
- OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 Department of Labor Cards
PHYSICAL TASKS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Works in a corporate office environment, however individual will make occasional visits to existing operating facilities as well as brownfield and greenfield project construction sites. Sites may be remote which will require overnight travel and stay. Working hours are generally normal but circumstances or deadlines may dictate extended hours to complete required tasks. Operates computer equipment, uses phone daily, and travels (sometimes frequently) in accordance with business demands.
This position will report to corporate management. It is anticipated this position will have the ability to work remotely, however it will require work in the field on capital projects and in several of our business offices at times.
About this Employer
LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 41,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.