FirstLight is seeking an Engineer III - Civil/Mechanical to join our dynamic team of engineers at our Northfield and Turners Falls office! This role will serve as project manager / project lead to carry out assignments associated with civil/mechanical engineering in support of FirstLight Power’s hydroelectric generating station equipment and facilities. Work assignments will include projects located in both our Massachusetts and Connecticut facilities.
- Provide leadership for assigned CAPEX and major maintenance projects.
- Perform engineering design and analysis work for modifications to existing plant equipment and for new plant equipment.
- Respond to requests for engineering/technical assistance from other departments.
- Recommend corrective actions and improvements based on review of operational, maintenance, and failure data.
- Prepare technical studies and reports.
- Prepare cost-benefit analyses in support of proposed engineering assignments.
- Prepare RFPs/specifications and evaluate proposals for contractor and consultant’s services and/or equipment purchases.
- Coordinate personnel, develop schedules, and evaluate work plans required to support engineering assignments.
- Provide oversight of contractors and consultants working on assigned projects.
- Support all FERC civil, environmental, public safety, and operational inspections.
- Perform periodic dam safety inspections and routine FERC Dam Safety reporting.
- Ensure assignments meet quality standards, regulatory requirements and are completed on time and within budget.
- Provide support to the Manager, Regulatory Compliance as directed.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Frequent standing; walking; balancing, sitting; climbing (ladders, stairs, ramps, catwalks, stacks and the like as required); stooping; squatting; crouching; crawling; kneeling; reaching; grasping; pushing; pulling; lifting (min. 50lbs); feeling; talking and hearing.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate keyboard, copier, telephone, and the ability to write and/or type.
- Visual acuity to accurately read and interpret such as but not limited to instruments, gauges, manuals and drawings.
- Ability to work in a confined space (crawl spaces, shafts, small enclosed areas, pipes and the like) as required.
- Perform work at various heights and in adverse conditions during operations, shutdowns, and emergency activities.
- Must be physically capable of wearing protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to half and full face respirators, fall protection equipment, hardhat, safety shoes, safety glasses etc.
- Ability to pass a respirator physical and respirator fit test (if applicable).
- Working Environment: 80% indoors, 20% outdoors.
Qualifications / Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering required.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in the power generation industry with experience in power plant systems, component design, project management and FERC Dam Safety is desirable.
- Registered Professional Engineer is desirable.
- High standard of technical competence.
- Working knowledge of federal and state regulatory criteria and industry codes, standards, and general engineering practices.
- Analyze information, determine relevant facts, and make decisions in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Initiative and the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Effectively manage and prioritize multiple ongoing projects.
- Communicate and work effectively with various levels of the organization and with counterparts in industry and government organizations.
- Prepare written communications clearly and concisely.
- Provide guidance in relevant technical areas.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite of programs, AutoCAD and other discipline related software applications.
Why Work for FirstLight?
We consider our employees to be FirstLight’s most valuable resource and we strive to provide a challenging, collegial, and rewarding workplace. FirstLight embraces a company-wide commitment to recruit, develop and retain a dedicated, diverse, and engaged workforce that is motivated to be ever better both professionally and personally.
Joining the FirstLight team is an opportunity to experience a unique and exciting culture. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Flex Spending & Health Savings Accounts
- Life and Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with Employer Contributions
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development
- Referral Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Charitable Matching Program
And so much more!
FirstLight is a leading clean power producer and energy storage company with a portfolio that includes nearly 1.4GW of pumped-hydro storage (including Northfield Mountain, the largest energy storage facility in New England), battery storage, hydroelectric generation, and solar generation—the largest clean energy generation portfolio operating in New England today. We have approximately 125 employees based in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and our corporate headquarters are located in Burlington, MA.
Our mission and vision is to accelerate the decarbonization of the electric grid by owning, operating, and integrating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets to meet the region’s growing clean energy needs and to deliver an electric system that is clean, reliable, affordable, and equitable.
Building upon our industry-leading experience in operating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets, FirstLight’s vision and commitment to leading the energy industry transformation makes us uniquely positioned to navigate rapidly evolving market conditions and grow our portfolio in New England and other US markets in the years ahead.
FirstLight values the following characteristics and behaviors in our team members:
- Respect: Showing respect for each other and the environment, fostering an inclusive and diverse team of employees, and providing a strong commitment to social responsibility
- Integrity: Exemplifying integrity in all business decisions highlighted through honesty, transparency, and trust.
- Safety: Providing a safe environment for our employees and for all visitors to our recreational facilities.
- Excellence: Continually striving to achieve the greatest level of operational excellence so that we produce the highest quality output and consistently deliver results.
- Innovation: Dedication to creating new market-leading solutions to stay ahead of unprecedented changes in the energy industry.
- Team: Creating an inspiring workplace that fosters open communication, collaboration, and accelerates personal growth. We seek to attract, retain, and develop the best talent in the industry to fuel our success. Diversity is a strategic advantage we need to cultivate.
FirstLight provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, we make our hiring and employment decisions on the basis of merit. Except as otherwise provided by law, employment practices will not be affected by an applicant’s or an employee’s race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy, criminal record, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. In addition to federal law requirements, FirstLight complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.