This position primarily is responsible for maintaining and developing SDG&E EMS computer software. The primary function of the EMS is to monitor and control the SDG&E's Bulk Power transmission system. Monitors all EMS workstations and servers and interpret the logs, on 5 different systems namely, primary EMS (MCC,) backup EMS (BCC,) Quality Assurance System (QAS,) Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS) and PI reporting system, on a 24X7 basis, to ensure the system's compliance with NERC CIP requirements. Make continuous improvements to EMS systems to ensure the SDG&E grid control center has necessary tools to sufficiently operate the SDG&E transmission grid. Contribute in developing new, enhanced and improved applications and monitoring software to improve the reliability and availability of SDG&E transmission grid operations. Work on maintaining the SDG&E's real-time EMS (Energy Management System), including system upgrades, integration, databases, and software and applications support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs all or part of software patching and software release upgrades to ensure the SDG&E transmission grid reliability as well as the NERC CIP-002 through CIP-009 compliance. Conducts daily evaluations of EMS real-time control systems operations in order to reach the best system performance; communicates with the dispatchers, engineers and field crews; perform troubleshooting, problem analysis and resolution.
- Manages and works on small EMS related projects from inception to completion, with minimum supervision. Troubleshoots and maintains the ICCP data transfer to the California ISO, SCE and WECC, the SCADA real-time RTU telemetry, as well as the Power System Application software, on the EMS at MCC, BCC, QAS, DTS and PI to ensure that the SDG&E Transmission Control Center Operators are provided with the necessary tools to reliably operate the SDG&E transmission grid.
- Works with the SDG&E Grid Control Team to incorporate the necessary EMS/SCADA database updates/changes for the SDG&E Grid Substations Remote Terminal Units (RTUs.) Work with the RTU Technicians to test the RTU telemetry of the Analog, Status and Accumulator points to ensure that the field RTUs correctly communicates with the EMS/SCADA.
- Actively participates in cross-training for all integrated real-time control systems, maintain software documentation library and update the EMSO cookbook.
- Works with other staff as a team when necessary; keep others informed of system changes, updates and programs that impact the real-time control systems.
- Participates in Company-wide efforts to integrate data communication networks to provide power system data to company's internal staff, other utility companies and California ISO.
- Keeps up with the latest developments in the utility industry, to meet NERC, FERC or WECC standards and regulatory requirements, and California deregulation requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.