Founded in 1990, LS Power (LSP) is a developer, investor and operator of power generation, transmission and energy infrastructure projects in North America operates with offices in several states including NY, NJ, CA, MO and TX. Since its inception, LS Power has invested over $39 billion to construct, acquire and operate such projects. LS Power employs an integrated, multi disciplinary approach, with a team of over 200 people covering every area of expertise required to successfully execute in the sector. LS Power has developed and constructed more than 565 miles of transmission infrastructure and has additional projects in the construction and planning stages. The total projected capital cost of LS Power’s transmission projects in the operational, construction or planning stages is over $3 billion. As a developer, investor and operator in the energy sector, we possess a unique combination of industry‐specific expertise, resources and relationships that enable us to arrive at creative solutions to the current and future needs of our customers and investors.
This position supports the regulated electric transmission business of LS Power. This position will function as an EMS Analyst working with the EMS (Energy Management System) and its associated systems reporting to the EMS Manager. This individual will be responsible for effective provisioning, troubleshooting, operation and maintenance of EMS software and its respective interfaces. The EMS Analyst will ensure that EMS provides LSP’s System Operators with all information required to safely operate the LSP & affiliate transmission systems while maintaining the highest level of reliable service. The EMS Analyst will perform all tasks in a manner compliant with LSP’s and company affiliate’s NERC CIP cyber security policy and procedures. This individual shall support regulatory compliance by monitoring systems and collecting required information and evidence to fulfill the company’s compliance obligations. The EMS Analyst will also serve as a key technical resource on any future EMS projects. This position will operate in a cross functional capacity working closely with LSP system operators, substation maintenance personnel, the EMS vendor, ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) and PJM representatives, and other staff including engineers, technicians and information technology resources. This role will be subject to periodic on‐call assignments which are scheduled and compensated according to LSP policy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Modify EMS databases and displays as required
- Troubleshoot and fix EMS software issues for the various applications including EpiLog, SOM Planner and Chronus
- Provide scheduled on‐call support outside of normal working hours
- Maintain OSI system interfaces to include DNP, Modbus, ICCP, weather apps and others
- Evaluate, test and install software updates recommended by the EMS vendor to include application and operating system patches
- Investigate and answer Transmission System Operator questions concerning EMS operations, functions or alarms
- Provide training and how‐to documentation as needed on EMS features, applications and alarms
- Develop and maintain maintenance and configuration procedures, schedules and related evidentiary documentation
- Develop and maintain EMS and SCADA system standards
- Research, recommend and implement innovative solutions and practical automated approaches for Operator tasks
- Integrate new interfaces efficiently and securely into the EMS
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled operations
- Verify that system backups are executed properly
- Assist with testing and implementing operating system patches to EMS servers and workstations
- Manage and regulate user accounts on the EMS
- Routinely test EMS failover capability by planning, preparing and implementing periodic failovers to plan for and prevent any information loss during such events
- As required, provide log, alarm and historical data to Operations and field maintenance personnel from the EMS and the EMS historian
- Develop and deploy EMS calculations as required
- Provide project support for EMS upgrades and software additions including specification and proposal reviews, vendor negotiations and system testing
- Work with the IT/OT/EMS team to develop and implement a change management process for software maintenance including OS patches and upgrades and upgrades for administrative tools and other utilities
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
- Attend NERC, Texas RE, PJM, Reliability First and ERCOT meetings and workshops to keep current with changes in NERC CIP standards and requirements
- Assist technical staff with developing and maintaining RSAWs as required by the CIP compliance program
- Store and maintain appropriate documentation to ensure compliance with CIP standards
- Assist with all regulatory reporting for ERCOT, Texas RE, NERC, Reliability First, PJM and FERC
- Provide administrative support with logistics and deliverables of internal and external audits as needed
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Must be self‐motivated, disciplined and possess effective skills necessary for the job as described.
Required skills include good communication, organization, critical thinking and a strong knowledge of modern software applications and document management strategies. Knowledge and understanding of electric utility business principles, compliance programs and operations is a plus.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor Degree with a technical major, such as computer science or engineering or equivalent
- One to three years of experience maintaining an OSI Monarch EMS
- Microsoft Server/Workstation SysAdmin experience is a plus
- Experience with OSI Chronus and WebPlatform applications a plus
- Windows/Linux scripting knowledge is a plus
- Experience supporting CIP compliance in the electric utility business is a plus
About this Employer
LS Power is a power generation and transmission group with a proven track record of successful development activities, operations management and commercial execution. LS Power has been involved in the development, construction, or operations of over 41,000 MW of power generation and over 660 miles of high-voltage transmission lines throughout the United States. LS Power is actively developing both power generation and transmission infrastructure to serve the need for new generation and improve the aging transmission system. Highly regarded in the financial community, LS Power has raised over $45 billion in capital to support investments in energy infrastructure.