Electrical Engineer I - IV
The Engineer I - IV – System Protection are electrical engineer positions with power transmission experience and specialties in the operation, maintenance and emergency restoration of transmission lines and transmission and distribution substations OR the design, commissioning, maintenance and performance monitoring of protection, control and monitoring systems.
• Champions a corporate culture that emphasizes transparency, integrity, safety, environmental responsibility, employee development, diversity and inclusion, customer service, and operational excellence.
• Interacts professionally with contractors, landowners and the public to achieve work objectives and corporate goals.
• Adheres to budget requirements.
• Acts as the subject matter expert during regulatory audits in the operation, maintenance and emergency restoration of transmission lines and transmission and distribution substations OR regulatory audits in the design, commissioning, maintenance and performance monitoring of protection, control and monitoring systems.
• Takes and releases clearances from the Cleco Transmission Operations Center (CTOC) or Distribution Operations Center (DOC) while coordinating work activities
• Inspects, prioritizes, plans, directs, and documents work activities such that unexpected outages on the electrical system are avoided AND develops test plans for protection and control devices and battery systems.
• Knows how to configure protection, control and monitoring devices including supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) remote terminal units (RTUs), protective relays, fault recorders and communications systems. Is able to clearly document the configuration processes for technicians to follow.
• Audits maintenance activities so that correct procedures are followed and complete records are maintained.
• Investigates misoperation events to find the root cause of the operation and to develop corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
• Designs protection, control and monitoring systems as needed to meet departmental objectives.
• Verify that all work is done safely and documents the contractor’s activities to substantiate their invoices.
• Facilitates the restoration of damaged transmission facilities after severe weather and other events.
• Understands company organizational structure and utilizes informal company networks to accomplish tasks and resolve issues.
• Monitors budget adherence and provides variance explanation, assists with project development and budget submittals , and proactively reports needed information to the manager
• Assists with planning, preparation, and coordination of area activities for the restoration of damaged transmission facilities after severe weather and other events.
• Actively seeks to refine and innovate processes and procedures.
• Seeks opportunities to collaborate with workers outside the department to achieve corporate goals beyond departmental requirements.
• Achieves results by anticipating problems and proactively executing mitigation strategies.
Required Education, Skills & Experience
• REQUIRED - Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (preferred), Civil Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum or with NCEES Certification to sit for the FE
• 2+ years of related experience with relays, transmission protection systems, designing protection systems and analyzing SCADA devices
• Strong knowledge of leading practices in transmission repair, switches, SCADA protection, and/or system protection and NERC compliance
• Strong planning, project management, and construction management skills
• Willingness and ability to evaluate new technologies and apply them to the position responsibilities
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences
• Proficient at functioning effectively within a team environment, present ideas and opinions in a respective and collegial manner
• Strong customer focus and employee experience mindset
• Progression to this level is strictly restricted based on critical individual capabilities and business requirements; must be supported by market survey data
Licenses and Certifications
• PE Certification Preferred