Director, Power Generation
SMUD is seeking a strong leader and visionary to manage the engineering, construction, maintenance and operation of the SMUD’s generation facilities and natural gas pipeline to ensure maximum availability and efficiency of these resources. This position provides management leadership for compliance efforts supporting all regulatory mandates including FERC, NERC, Damn Safety requirements and emission requirements. The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated track record of provide leadership and interfacing with regulators, executive management, and Board of Directors.
This a Non Civil Service position with a salary range of : $173,748-$273,792
Has overall responsibility for the engineering, construction, maintenance and operation of the SMUD’s generation facilities and natural gas pipeline to ensure maximum availability and efficiency of these resources. This is to be accomplished through proper leadership of about 150 employees and proper interface with, regulators, executive management and the Board of Directors. Provides management leadership for compliance efforts supporting all regulatory mandates including FERC, NERC, Damn Safety requirements and emission requirements.
This position provides leadership for the development and management of the Power Generation Department. The incumbent must be a strong leader and visionary providing direction in strategic initiatives, operations, services and enterprise-wide projects. This position requires the incumbent to have well developed communication skills. Considerable interaction is required at the executive level as well as communicating with the public. The ability to clearly express the implications and consequences of proposed policies, strategies, goals and business plans to these audiences is critical to achieving a consensus on the direction SMUD should follow. The incumbent should have a background and experience in the business activities of a utility and have participated in the development of business plans. The incumbent will have demonstrated the ability to conceptualize, develop and direct an organized analytic approach for dealing with a complex set of policies and/or other factors impacting business outcomes.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
Work may include, but is not limited to, the following: (NOTE: While in general all the functions and requirements listed are essential, individual positions and/or locations may not require all duties be performed.)
- Direct the development of department plans and schedules to operate and maintain the generation facilities of the SMUD, including the natural gas pipeline to meet minimum availability goals. This includes responsibility and oversight of the department budget of ~$150M.
- Manage and maintain adequate resources to meet the SMUD’s goals in the most efficient manner.
- Provide directions and leadership to develop, implement and practice proper Safety plans to achieve zero accident work environment.
- Insure that the facilities operated by the department comply with all licenses and regulations.
- Make presentations to the Board and Executives to obtain approvals or to provide information as requested.
- Respond to public concerns, requests for information or need to maintain positive relationships.
- Manage and direct emergency preparedness and response for possible incidents that would impact the public or environment.
- Manages, oversees, supports and coordinates reporting managers and supervisors in power generation operations with other utilities, external entities, and related SMUD departments to provide for meeting SMUD's generation requirements on a continuous 24 hours per day, 7 days per week basis.
- Participate in negotiations related to contracts, regulatory conflicts or business opportunities that cannot be resolved at lower levels.
- Promote the safety of SMUD employees, contractor staff, and customers through adherence to established SMUD policies and goals, development of specific goals for the process segment, and monitoring and responding to safety concerns.
- Maintain maximum communications among all levels.
- Represent the SMUD in maintaining good relationships with SMUD or outside Unions.
- Participate in task forces addressing SMUD issues, as directed by Executive level.
- Insure that SMUD policies and philosophy are carried out in the department.
- Insure that the cost of construction, maintenance and operation and decommissioning of generation and natural gas pipelines facilities are within approved budgets.
- ALIGNMENT – Ensuring that the expected outcomes and related processes are aligned with brand, strategy, and enterprise planning and risk
- ACCOUNTABILITY – Ensuring that all processes have someone ultimately responsible for achieving the expected results
- TRANSPARENCY – Ensuring that the processes followed to achieve the expected results are measurable and visible
- EFFECTIVENESS & EFFICIENCY – Ensuring that the processes followed to achieve the expected results are consistent with best practice for cost, quality and cycle time
- UNIFORM REPORTING – Ensuring the use of SMUD-wide technology and reporting platforms, wherever possible, when reporting progress on expected results
- VERIFICATION – Support and ensure the independent verification of expected results especially in the areas of regulatory or legal compliance
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related field
Ten or more (10+) Progressively responsible experience in the construction, maintenance, and operation of power plants and other generation resources; project management experience in managing and scheduling major projects; interfacing with executive management, Board of Directors, regulatory agencies and the public.
Effective safety practices; different types of generation, such as: hydro, nuclear, combustion gas, steam and distributed generation and natural gas pipelines; maintenance practices including latest trends in production industries; the operation of utilities processes; practices of Regulatory Agencies related to the power generation; economic principles necessary to make decisions or recommendations on projects or business practices; effective management practices required to administer complex business; and, engineering principles necessary to manage production which depends on complicated machinery and technical personnel.
Provide leadership and effective management of a diverse work group to achieve business unit goals and objectives; Plan and lead business segment initiatives that support the achievement of SMUD’s strategic directives; create, communicate and execute the business segment’s operating plan; lead and support business segment change initiatives that help SMUD achieve its objectives; create and sustain a business segment culture that promotes continuous process improvement; ensure that the business segments processes are aligned across functions to achieve business segment and SMUD objectives; be an effective member of SMUD’s management team; Communicate orally and in writing; resolve conflicts; deal with people at all levels; recognize opportunities to improve operations and new business; deal with and implement changes; recognize sensitive issues and act accordingly; perform under pressure; and, recognize and admit when one is wrong.
Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The health and wellbeing of our employees and our community is our top priority. SMUD follows CDC guidance and adheres to all local, county and state orders. To this end, if you are scheduled to come on a SMUD campus, you will need to monitor your health (ensuring your temperature is below 100.4° and you’re free of COVID-19 symptoms), wear a face covering, and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
Additional Posting Info for Candidate:
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) - Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers.
Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
California Equal Pay Act
SMUD is committed to ensuring we're a workplace where diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I), are part of who we are and how we do things. Supporting efforts that promote pay equality is part of that. Salary placement for the selected candidate will be determined in alignment with the California Equal Pay Act.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles to deliver a culture that reflects the broader values of the community and our customers. Our Board's policy for Employee Relation sets our commitment to developing and maintaining a high quality, inclusive workplace that engages and inspires employees to commit to SMUD's purpose, vision and values.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state's sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country's top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er's aren't far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.
To apply, please visit: smud.org/careers