The CNMI is a tropical island consisting of fourteen islands with Saipan, Rota, and Tinian the only islands with a population. In the CNMI you can escape to a place of magnificent beaches and crystal clear aqua waters, and rich history. Saipan offers year-round outdoor activities, world class diving and golfing, international shopping, a range of ethnic restaurants and a cacophony of indigenous and international cultures.
Reporting directly to CUC’s Executive Director (ED) or designee, the Deputy Executive Director (DED) fills a position required by the Stipulated Order (SO) of the United States of America vs. the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands, Civil Case No. CV 08-0051.
The incumbent will be under the direct supervision of the Executive Director or his/her designee.
- Primarily responsible for overseeing, all drinking water and wastewater operations and compliance activities and deliverables, on a daily basis, as required by the Stipulated Order. Responsible for maintaining regular contact with EPA staff regarding CWA and SDWA compliance issues. Has authority to make decisions for management and operations of the drinking water and wastewater systems.
- Supervises and directs Water & Wastewater lead staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Provides management assistance to the Executive Director to include: coordinating activities between CUC and outside organizations and agencies; researching and preparing recommendations on operational directives; and, preparing and presenting reports.
- Assumes full management responsibility over divisions as delegated by the Executive Director. Plans, directs and coordinates work of divisions through department heads by meeting with management to identify, prioritize and resolve problems.
- Directs and implements maintenance plans; evaluates maintenance programs to ensure maintenance standards are enforced.
- Participates on a variety of boards and committees and attends a wide variety of management meetings.
- Serves as the Executive Director when the Executive Director is out of the CNMI.
- Responsible for short and long-range strategic planning and enforcement.
- Other duties of a similar nature or level as assigned or required.
About this Employer
The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (“CUC”) is a government utility providing power, water, and wastewater services in the Northern Mariana Islands NMI), a U.S. commonwealth in the western pacific.