The Illinois Municipal Electric Agency (IMEA) is a wholesale electric supplier to 32 Illinois municipal electric systems with long-term contracts with its member utilities. Each of these communities owns and operates its own electric distribution system, with over half owning and operating local power generation plants. IMEA provides service to members through a combination of joint power plant ownership and long-term power supply agreements, as well as related energy and operational member services. IMEA also manages a wholesale natural gas agency, the Illinois Public Energy Agency, which serves 12 municipal gas systems and 2 cooperatives in the state of Illinois. IMEA also provides management services to the Illinois Municipal Utilities Association for nearly 50 municipal utilities throughout the state as well. The three entities operate 24x7x365 and have a combined annual budget near $350 million from a state of the art facility in Springfield, Illinois.
This member of the Senior Management Team reports directly to the President & CEO and supervises the engineering/energy markets and resource planning functions of the Illinois Municipal Electric Agency (IMEA). The Chief Operating Officer acts as key advisor in managing the day-to-day operations with respect to policy and procedures to the Illinois Public Energy Agency (IPEA) and the Illinois Municipal Utilities Association (IMUA) and the IMEA in coordination with the CEO. The Chief Operating Officer assists in financial and strategic planning as well as business and budget development for all three organizations as well as assuming the duties of the CEO in his absence. This person shall lead and actively manage IMEA’s ownership and contract rights in the power supply resources and report such status to the CEO and the IMEA Board. This person shall also be responsible for the management, staffing, and administration of all engineering, energy markets and resource planning functions within the agency. These functions include planning, implementing and maintaining resources required to provide service to the agencies members, as well as providing other engineering services to members as required. In this position, he/she routinely interfaces with members, vendors/suppliers, consultants, financial institutions and outside attorneys. With the concurrence of the CEO, he/she develops and implements policies related to engineering, energy markets and resource planning for the agencies. Directly supervises all members of the Engineering and Energy Markets Department and coordinates activities with other members of the Senior Management Team.
- Acts as a strategic partner on the leadership team as well as a primary negotiator on long-term strategy and agency decisions.
- Takes a leadership role in the governance and operational coordination for agency contracted and owned supply resources, stakeholder/ citizen interactions as well as governing body(s).
- Provide organizational leadership in regulatory/Agency Board policy regarding owned generation and contracted resources.
- Works collaboratively to develop and/or improve systems, processes, controls and procedures that improve the overall efficiency of the organization.
- Collaborates with the Senior Management Team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes and personnel designed to accommodate the growth objectives of IMEA/IPEA/IMUA.
- Develop, coordinate, and manage systems, facilities, and procedures to provide for reliable electric and gas supply and delivery for the IMEA and IPEA, respectively.
- Complete/manage transmission planning studies and integrated resource plans for the IMEA.
- Manage IMEA generation construction projects and transmission improvements as needed by IMEA.
- Manage consultants and contractors employed in engineering and energy markets functions by the IMEA.
- Provide technical support to other staff within the IMEA and IPEA related to contract negotiations, compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain all engineering drawings, documents, and reference material for the IMEA.
- Develop annual and longer-term budgets for engineering and utility plant facilities. Work with the CEO and other Senior Management staff to complete and gain Board(s) approval for annual agency budgets.
- Plan, develop, and implement programs providing engineering and energy markets services to the IMEA members as required.
- Train, manage, lead, and retain engineering and energy markets staff necessary to meet the goals of the IMEA/IPEA/IMUA.
- Report to CEO, the agencies’ Boards of Directors, and members as required on issues related to engineering, utility plant facilities and other relevant matters that are important to the agencies governing bodies.
- Other duties as assigned to facilitate the effective operation of the agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering/business administration from an accredited program.
- Master’s in business administration, engineering or advanced degree in an applicable disciple preferred.
- Proven experience as VP of Engineering, Chief Operating Officer or similar relevant role.
- Registration (or capability of becoming registered within 6 months) as a professional engineer in the state of Illinois is highly desirable.
- In-depth understanding of the industry including risk management, compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Understanding of the operations and engineering functions of a public utility obtained through 10 to 20 years progressive experience in related positions.
- Advanced computer skills to include the ability to develop new applications in spreadsheets and data base software as well as the ability to use other position-specific software (load flow, SCADA, accounting, as applicable) to develop specific applications.
- Understanding of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- In-depth understanding of accounting principles including budgeting, balance sheets, income statements, cash flow and capital planning management.
- Demonstrated competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Strong written communication skills, capable of clearly expressing complex or detailed technical concepts to a variety of audiences in reports, letters, memorandum, news releases, announcements, etc.
- Strong verbal communication skills, capable of explaining complex or detailed technical concepts to a variety of audiences in presentations, speeches, briefings, informal meetings, etc.
- Advanced analytical and mathematical skills.
- Aptitude in sound decision-making and problem solving in pressure situations.
- Ability to provide day-to-day leadership and management.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel on short notice and up to 30-40% of the time, as necessary.
- Ability to lead and work well in a team oriented environment.
- Ability to professionally handle confidential and personnel matters.
Send resume to: Tammy Hall, Manager of Exec. & Admin. Services, at email@example.com
IMEA offers a competitive salary with an excellent benefit package including a generous health insurance plan and retirement allowances. IMEA will incur the customary costs associated with relocation.
http://www.imea.org/documents/coo-brochure.pdf for more information!
IMEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer!