At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
The SDG&E's Energy Management System (EMS) Team supports and enhances the mission critical transmission operation of the Electric Transmission System. The highest system reliability, security and availability of the EMS are essential to the effective operation of SDG&E's Transmission system and our compliance with the NERC Reliability Standard Requirements. This position is responsible for managing and maintaining the SDG&E EMS computer software. Monitor, configure, and maintain all EMS disks, CPUs, workstations and servers on 5 different systems namely, primary EMS (MCC), backup EMS (BCC), Quality Assurance System (QAS), Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS) and the PI reporting system, on a 24X7 basis, to ensure high availability of the EMS systems for the Grid Control operators. Assists other section members to achieve compliance with NERC Reliability Standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs tasks on the EMS system such as Configuration Management, User & Password Management, Intrusion Detection, System Performance Management, System Backup, Patch Management and Software Release Upgrades to ensure SDG&E transmission grid reliability as well as the NERC Reliability Standards Compliance.
- Monitors and maintains the SDG&E Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) application and Energy Management System (EMS), responds to trouble calls, and troubleshoots/corrects SCADA/EMS issues reported by the SDG&E Transmission Control Center, to make sure that the SDG&E EMS system is up and running 7X24. This allows SDG&E operators/dispatchers to have full visibility of all crucial power system information.
- Troubleshoots and maintains the ICCP power system data link transfer to the California ISO, the Oracle real-time and reporting databases, the SCADA real-time RTU telemetry system, as well as Power System Application software, on the EMS systems on a 24X7 basis, to ensure that the SDG&E Transmission Control Center Operators are provided with the necessary tools to reliably operate the SDG&E transmission grid.
- Keeps all EMS databases in sync, perform periodic system backups and install software patches (including cyber security patches), so that SDG&E can operate its Bulk Power System reliably and in compliance with NERC Reliability Standards requirements on a 7X24 basis.
- Provides training to the less experienced EMS staff members to make sure that the team has enough manpower to support the SDG&E EMS systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent, preferably in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information System, or Mathematics.
- Required at least five years of experience related to EMS/SCADA, real-time database software and real-time systems operational support.
- Must have high level of experience in UNIX operating system, Shell Script and C/C++ programming.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and have effective teamwork skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills, organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
- Excellent negotiation skills as well as the knowledge of business application software, including spreadsheets, are required.
- Must be able to effectively work in a high pressure and complex environment.
- Master’s degree is desired.
- High level of technical knowledge in Power System Analysis and Energy Management Systems applications are strongly desired.
- Expertise in SQL programming, PI Data Historian software, relational database implementation and tools (i.e., Oracle, SQL, sqlplus) are highly desirable.
- Knowledge of real-time power systems modeling and analysis software are desired.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status