- Oct 6, 2021 3:08 pm GMT
Among the most dynamic and important areas of focus that's elevating into the c-suites across the utility sector comes from the world of geographic information systems (GIS) and geospatial data. By creating systems that digitize, analyze and update data around the location of key assets across the grid, utilities are able to optimize their operations and maintenance. Gone will be the days of massive paper maps, field workers keeping personal notes that don't find their way to central databases, and other challenges, and replacing them will be tablets with the latest information automatically updated on them and AI-enabled tools to make as efficient as possible all associated processes.
Many utilities are still looking to overhaul their systems to take advantage of the possibilities of GIS, but regular visitors to Energy Central know that the experts and leaders in our community have been espousing the value and importance of GIS for years, well ahead of average industry professional.
If you're only just realizing the value that GIS is already bringing the energy sector and will continue to do so in the future, check out some of the best GIS content on Energy Central in recent years below:
- Outages and Aging Infrastructure by Jim Horstman, Principle Consultant at Strateture Solutions
- The Future of Utility GIS is Today by Eric Charette, Executive Technical Director of Hexagon Safety & Infrastructure
- Simple Scales by Bill Meehan, Director of Utility Solutions at Esri
- Tapping into Geospatial Data for Better Insights by Linda Stevens, Co-Founder of 51by1
- Three Steps to Understand Machine Learning by Pat Hohl, Director of Electic Industry Solutions at Esri
- On-Demand Webcast: Augmented Reality for Utilities is Here featuring Matt Shellenberger, Staff Engineer with American Electric Power
- GIS Holds the Key to Identifying Where Electric Vehicles Will Impact the Grid by Scott Robinson, Associate Director at Navigant
- Realizing digital transformation - Lessons learned from utility operations by Steve Tongish, Chief Marketing Officer of IQGeo
- Why Esri's Utility Network Model is Better for ADMS by Tom Helmer, Executive Solution Architect at UDC
- Digitizing Construction Crews - The Last Gap in the Design>As-Built>System of Record Workflow by Danny Petrecca, Vice President of Business Development at Locusview
Note we've also featured GIS as a topic on the Energy Central Power Perspectives Podcast a few times as well:
- 'Creating a Smarter Utility with Geo-Centric Planning' with Linda Stevens of 51by1
- 'The Past & Future of Circuits & How GIS is Transforming the Grid, COVID-19 Response, & More' with Pat Hohl of Esri
- 'To Unlock the Modern Utility, GIS is Key' with Bill Meehan of Esri
- 'GIS, Digital Twin, and the Intelligent Reality of Utilities Today' with Pat Hohl and Bill Meehan of Esri
No discussions yet. Start a discussion below.
Get Published - Build a Following
The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.
If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.