Podcast / Audio
Episode #77: ‘Spare Margins and Whether New Generation is Keeping the Pace' with Doug Houseman, Principal Consultant at 1898 & Co. [an Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Podcast]
The ‘Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Podcast’ features conversations with thought leaders in the utility sector. Each two weeks we’ll connect with an Energy Central Power Industry Network...
- Member since 2020
- 84 items added with 162,620 views
As energy demand grows and existing assets and infrastructure ages, the utility industry is increasingly taking stock of the capacity that the grid is able to handle. After events like 2021’s Winter Storm Uri in Texas nearly brought the state’s power sector down, many leaders are questioning long-held beliefs regarding capacity, the makeup of their generation fleets, and more. The energy industry is, of course, evolving towards a grid that’s more defined by renewable energy sources, distributed energy assets, and smart technology, but if those implementations undermine the ability of utilities to reliably deliver power when it’s most needed then it’s all for naught.
To dig into these difficult but critical questions, Doug Houseman joins the Energy Central Power Perspectives Podcast for his second appearance on the show. In this episode, Doug taps into his wealth of experience and knowledge to educate the utility listeners about how they should be thinking about spare margin, long-term thinking, and grid-scale planning. In this conversation with podcast host Jason Price and producer Matt Chester, Doug espouses his wisdom with the wit, frankness, and expertise the energy industry observers have come to expect.
- Generation Guide: Monthly Digest of Insights Shared by Your Peers in the Energy Central Generation Network – June 24, 2022
- Customer Corner: Monthly Digest of Insights Shared by Your Peers in the Energy Central Customer Care Group – June 23, 2022
- Welcome Sean McEvoy, New Expert in the Digital Utility Community- [an Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Expert Interview]
- Episode #84: 'The Clean Energy Opportunity for Community Energy Providers' With Nick Chaset, CEO of East Bay Community Energy [an Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Podcast]
- Episode #83: 'Embracing The Utility Role Of Community & Economic Development' With Patrick Smith [an Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Podcast]
- Episode #82: 'Highlighting The Performance Incentive Mechanisms To Advance Utility Goals' With Karl Rábago [an Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Podcast]
- Episode #81: ‘Utilities Embracing the R&D Role for the Future' with King Look, Director of R&D at Con Edison [an Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Podcast]
- Episode #80: 'Taking a Geographic Approach to Public Grid Investment' with Bill Meehan and Pat Hohl of Esri [an Energy Central Power Perspectives™ Podcast]
Related Power Perspectives™ Content
Power Perspectives™ Interviews
Get Published - Build a Following
The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.
If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.