Business Customer Satisfaction with Electric Utilities Rallies in Second Half of 2021, J.D. Power Finds
- Nov 17, 2021 3:05 pm GMT
Improving Business Optimism and More Frequent Outreach Efforts Combine to Lift Satisfaction
"Many businesses started out the year dealing with challenges brought on by the pandemic, especially around costs," said
Following are some key findings of the 2021 study:
- Business customer satisfaction power surge: Overall business customer satisfaction with electric utilities this year is 786 (on a 1,000-point scale), which is down from 793 a year ago. What that headline number obscures, however, is the massive 24-point increase in the second half of study fielding. By itself, the overall satisfaction score for the second wave of the study (798) is the highest single-wave score ever recorded in this study.
- High-voltage customer contact: Nearly three-fourths (74%) of business customers indicated having some form of direct contact with their utility. This included increased interaction in the second wave of the study through proactive outreach via e-mail, phone or face-to-face visit (27%); via web (34%); and mobile app (19%).
- More customers now have an assigned account rep: The number of business customers saying that they have an assigned account representative increased from 33% in the first wave of the study to 39% in the second wave. A dedicated account representative is associated with a 73-point lift in overall customer satisfaction.
- Rates may be on the rise: After several months of late payment forgiveness and relatively stable rates, during the second wave of the study, 39% of business customers say they are aware of a planned rate increase.
Within each of the four
- East Large:
PPL Electric Utilities
- Midwest Large: Ohio Edison (for a second consecutive year)
- Midwest Midsize:
Kentucky Utilities(for a third consecutive year)
- South Large:
Florida Power & Light
- South Midsize:
Public Service Co. of Oklahoma
- West Large: SRP
See the rank charts for each region at http://www.jdpower.com/pr-id/2021158.
The 2021 Electric Utility Business Customer Satisfaction Study, now in its 23rd year, measures satisfaction among business customers of 87 targeted
The study is based on responses from 16,834 online interviews of business customers in decision-making roles related to their utility company. The study was fielded from February through
For more information about the J.D. Power Electric Utility Business Customer Satisfaction Study, visit https://www.jdpower.com/business/utilities/electric-utility-business-customer-satisfaction-study.
Media Relations Contacts
No discussions yet. Start a discussion below.
Get Published - Build a Following
The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.
If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.