Energy Central News

Curated power industry news from thousands of top sources.

News Link

Blue hydrogen a ‘highway to climate disaster’: Andrew Forrest slams fossil fuel funding

  • Oct 4, 2021
  • 180 views
Source: 
The Sydney Morning Herald

Mining magnate Andrew Forrest has attacked public funding for use of gas, coal and carbon capture to make hydrogen fuel, which features in Australia’s climate policy....

Discussions
Spell checking: Press the CTRL or COMMAND key then click on the underlined misspelled word.
Bob Meinetz's picture
Bob Meinetz on Oct 5, 2021

"Hydrogen is typically extracted from water molecules, which can be done using fossil fuel energy (blue hydrogen) or renewable energy (green hydrogen)."

No, it's worse than that. If hydrogen was "extracted" from water molecules (H2O) but it was done using fossil fuel energy, the only carbon emissions would come from making the energy. Pull the hydrogen from the oxygen atom, and there's a little more free oxygen in the atmosphere. No problem.
 

But only 5% of hydrogen is made using water as a feedstock. The other 95% is made by steam reforming methane (CH4) which, once the four hydrogen atoms are stripped away, leaves that nasty carbon atom behind (the "C" in CH4). It promptly bonds to oxygen to yield carbon dioxide:
 

C + 02 → CO2

 

Kudos to Andrew Forrest for calling out blue hydrogen - but his green hydrogen plant won't go anywhere, either. Too expensive to make, too expensive to store, making hydrogen from sunlight uses the most diffuse source of energy to make the least energy-dense fuel. When you're done, you've got a whole lot of nothing (and even less money).

Get Published - Build a Following

The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.

If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.

                 Learn more about posting on Energy Central »