Transmission Power System Dispatcher
Western Area Power Administration
The power system dispatcher has the responsibility and authority to take or direct timely and
appropriate real-time actions that ensure the reliable operation of the BES. This authority is
implicit and allows the power system dispatcher to take or direct timely and appropriate real-time
actions without obtaining approval from higher level personnel within the organization.
Appropriateness of these actions will be dictated by current system conditions and applicable
NERC Reliability Standards, as well as operating agreements and operating procedures.
The Power System dispatcher performs activities associated with the assigned position
responsibilities and duties of the balancing, interchange, and/or the transmission operations in the
- Monitors and operates power system equipment considering public safety and proper operation within equipment capabilities. Initiates or directs timely and appropriate real-time actions during normal and emergency conditions to ensure the stable and reliable operation of the BES and lower voltage systems while taking corrective action, as required to achieve or maintain these limitations, including re-dispatch of generation, cancellation of planned generation and transmission outages without prior supervisory approval.
- In the event of a BES or lower voltage system disturbance or unplanned outage, completes outage and incident reports within time parameters. Takes steps to gather information and data to aid in prompt completion of disturbance analysis and distribute to appropriate personnel. Participates in subsequent investigations, as required.
- Utilizes EMS and other advanced applications to control, record, modify parameters, verify, and analyze BES and lower voltage systems operational data.
- Knowledge of power system switching procedures sufficient to prepare, check, and direct routine and emergency switching activities.
- Knowledge of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)/Energy Management System (EMS) to monitor and operate the BES and to predict and study power system conditions and contingencies.
- The employee must obtain and maintain at least the following North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) certification:
- Transmission Operator