Supervisor, GMS Technology Development - RIOO
Electric Reliability Council of Texas
AT ERCOT, our diverse and dynamic work environment provides a platform on which employees can work together to build the future of the Texas power grid and wholesale market utilizing the latest technologies and resources. We encourage you to join our talented, dedicated workforce to develop world-class solutions for today and tomorrow's energy challenges while learning new skills and growing your career.
ERCOT is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion at all levels of our company. It is the cornerstone of our corporate values of accountability, leadership, innovation, trust, and expertise. We accept and celebrate those that join us and recognize that individuals with a wide variety of talents, ideas, and experiences propel the innovation that drives our success. A diverse and inclusive workforce strengthens us and allows for a collaborative environment to solve the challenges that face our industry today and in the future.
ERCOT offers the flexibility to work both in and out of the office within the state of Texas, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance.
Supervises the Resource Integration and Ongoing Operations (RIOO) applications software development team under Grid and Market Solutions (GMS) Organization. Creates, schedules, and oversees software development work assignments for suite of RIOO and Net Dependable Capability and Reactive Capability (NDCRC) Web Applications. Provides leadership, focus, and develops team members through on-the-job training, mentoring, performance, and career development advice. Coordinates RIOO and NDCRC Applications software development activities through direct reports and ensures that team develops and delivers high quality software to customers following software development life cycle (SDLC) process.
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, training, and performance management of staff.
- Frequently interacts with direct reports and functional peer groups. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others.
- Provides direct supervision to professional individual contributors and/or skilled, support individual contributors. Acts as an advisor to department and may become actively involved, as required, to meet schedules and resolve problems. A small portion of time is normally spent performing individual tasks related to the department. Typically has full responsibility for direct reports.
- May provide input to budgeting and financial decisions that impact the department. Requests approval for financial actions beyond a limited scope per policy.
- Responsible for software development work assignments to development team, for suite of RIOO and NDCRS applications.
- Responsible for RIOO and NDCRS applications software requirements review & design development, working closely with various internal stake holders and end users.
- Responsible for ensuring the adherence to software development life cycle processes for all the changes within the portfolio.
- Responsible for ensuring high quality software delivery while maintaining the SLAs with stakeholders.
- Responsible for providing timely solutions to address critical production issues as level 2 support team.
- Responsible for completion of development and testing activities to support timely delivery of technology upgrade and business projects.
- Responsible for maintaining effective source code control and ensuring timely software releases to customers.
- Lead the impact analysis efforts working with team to provide software development estimates for RIOO and NDCRC applications changes driven by ERCOT nodal protocols revision requests (NPRR), system change requests (SCR), technology upgrades.
- Provide technical direction to development team on resolving complex RIOO applications problems.
- Proactively plan for application improvements and reducing technical debt working closely with development team and business users.
- Responsible for maintaining development team processes and procedures Up to Date.
- Serves as the team representative on cross-functional teams, proactively providing technical, business, and policy guidance.
- Understand and maintain knowledge of NERC Reliability Standards, CIP protocols, ERCOT Nodal Protocols and help the staff understand standards and protocols.
- Maintain knowledge of new emerging technologies, best practices in electric utility industry as well as new technology in IT industry and provide the direction to team to adopt new technologies as required.
- Proactively involved with senior management in planning and execution of ERCOT initiatives.
- Reviews and approves staff timesheets and leave requests.
- Requires minimum 5 years related work experience and 1 year in a leadership role preferred in excess of degree requirements.
- Requires minimum 5 years progressively responsible experience in electric power industry and understanding of software development process.
- Experience in grid and market arena with software vendors or ISO/Utilities is preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree : Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field (Required)
- Master's Degree : Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field (Preferred)
- or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
- This position is Hybrid. Employees will be required to be on-site in Taylor, TX at minimum once a month or as needed based on the business needs as determined by management
- On-site schedules are flexible or may be rotated based on business needs as determined by the Manager
- Remote work is required to be performed from your Texas residence
- Employees may opt to work on-site more than required or 100% of the time
About this Employer
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to more than 26 million Texas customers -- representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 52,700+ miles of transmission lines and 1,030+ generation units, including PUNs. It also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 8 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.