Staff Engineer Job
Location(s): CO - Denver; MN - Minneapolis
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
May hire at higher level
Under general direction, demonstrates complete understanding & wide application of engineering technical principle, theories, & concepts in the field. Independently determines & develops approaches to solutions. Receives technical guidance on complex problems; completed work reviewed for adequacy in meeting objectives. May lead small-medium non-critical projects or critical projects under direction of higher level engineer/supervisor. May provide work direction to other professionals &/or staff. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects. Frequent inter-organizational & outside customer contact. Demonstrates a broad knowledge & proficiency of precedents in the specialty area, a good knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Uses & applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, & techniques to perform activities/assignments that may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials or methods & difficult coordination requirements.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes & may assist with the development of procedures requiring a broad knowledge & proficiency in a specialty area & has a general knowledge of related disciplines.
- Works under the general direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor for routine engineering projects. Provide ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, testing/diagnostics & Regulatory. May provide field engineering oversight &/or direction for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections, etc.
- May lead small-medium, non-critical projects. Coordinate/leads critical projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation & commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor. Work reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor supports bid/evaluation processes including preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals; provide recommendations for selection, etc. Partners & communicates with areas such as Supply Chain & Legal following appropriate processes.
- Frequently exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance & complexity both inter-organizationally & with outside customers.
- May assign tasks & coordinate work of interns, drafters, technicians, craft personnel and/or others. Provide guidance & mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self-development of technical skills & competencies.
- Performs activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency).
- 2+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge& proficiency in specialty area, knowledge of related specialties,& general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills & core competencies for this engineering level established and documented by the organization.
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) strongly preferred
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Chemical or Mechanical or Nuclear Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in industrial Gases, Petrochemicals, Chemical, Nuclear or related industries in process engineering or plant engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with OSHA PSM, NFPA, API standards
- Experience and understanding of process engineering deliverables such as P&IDs, safety relief demand scenarios, and basic function of unit operations is required.
- Experience with instrumentation, process controls, and electrical design is preferred
- Hydrogen production experience is preferred
- Good leadership skills, good engineering problem solving skills, good interpersonal and communication skills, and enthusiasm about the job mission.
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver; MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Operations || 31371:Clean Fuel || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $76,000 to $98,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 53343
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.