Software Engineer, Spectrum Innovation
Idaho National Laboratory
The INL Wireless R&D group is in the process of developing a custom proprietary wireless communication system based on a novel spread spectrum technique. Initial concept has been completed with standard COTS (Commercial off the Shelf) hardware and software.
INL now wishes to move the communication system onto hardware and software for a variety of use-case deployments...if the prospect of contributing to this team, we'd love for you to apply!
- Understanding the existing software architecture followed by developing the embedded software code for drivers, medium access control (MAC) and application layer functions within a multi-threaded environment.
- Conduct investigations and evaluations of current platform software architecture for both Linux and RTOS operating systems.
- Collaborate with the development team to refine and finalize the system requirements. These requirements will be based on the current platform capabilities as well as anticipated future system capabilities.
- Use professional concepts and company objectives to solve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Exercises judgement in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. May train, guide and mentor junior staff.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science and 5 years of experience.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Salary Grade: 210/220
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.