Software Engineer - Digital Twin Research Scientist
Idaho National Laboratory
The Department of Digital Engineering at Idaho National Laboratory is seeking eager, emerging software scientists to develop groundbreaking capabilities with its digital engineering initiative for advanced energy systems.
Digital, model-based approaches will transform current engineering practices, securely connecting people, processes, data, and capabilities across an end-to-end digital ecosystem. Next generation technologies in advanced computing, big data analytics, internet-of-things, and Machine Learning (ML)/Artificial Intelligence (AI) will be enabled through the ecosystem to help domain experts solve challenges in new, innovative ways through a virtual environment. The Software Engineer will be a critical team member in developing the software framework for the digital ecosystem.
This team works an remote 9x80 schedule with every other Friday off!
- Demonstrate effective research skills and the ability to collaborate and partner with other government agencies, academia, and private sector companies to achieve project objectives.
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers on challenging work scope.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with management, co-workers, and with customers.
- Publish results of research and development in a mix of refereed publications and conference proceedings.
- Work effectively with other research teams to develop and manage cross-cutting technical programs for a variety of customers.
- Develop a reputation for technical expertise. Applies and interprets standard theories, principles, methods, concepts, tools, and technologies within specialty. Works to develop technical expertise, knowledge, and new skills.
- Independently completes small to medium size assignments of low to moderate complexity.
- Works with teams on larger and more complex assignments.
- Makes preliminary selections and adaptations of technical alternatives.
- Deliver products that meet or exceed customer technical and quality requirements while meeting schedule and budget constraints.
- Works with more experienced team members to appropriately scope, estimate and schedule projects and tasks.
- Networks effectively with technical peer group within INL and develops external network.
- Participates in professional activities, university interactions, special assignments, and external special interest groups.
- Takes initiative to participate in establishing organizational goals and direction and reviews plans.
- Contributes to development of new capabilities within the division.
- Contributes to scientific and technical products such as patents, software, journal papers, reports, proceedings, and policies.
- Contributes to the development of intellectual property leading to patents, publications, and/or copyrights.
- Actively teams with others to acquire funding (preferably external and directly supporting the technical mission of INL) for self through proposals, white papers, AOPs, networking and other methods.
- Generates ideas for new proposals and business development opportunities.
- Leads by example, promotes a culture of excellence in safety, environmental compliance, and security.
- Identifies training requirements for self and keeps training current.
- Level 1: BS
- Level 2: BS and 2 years of experience.
- Degree must be in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, data science, physics, electrical engineering, math, or a related field
- For candidates without a relevant degree, (8) years of experience in lieu of degree will be considered.
- Familiar with developing software in multiple languages (ex. Node.js, Python, C++, C#, Rust, Scala, Swift, and/or JAVA)
- Desire for familiarity with web user interface technologies (React, VueJS, Angular, etc.)
- Desire for familiarity with web backend technologies (RESTful design, WebSockets/Messaging, GraphQL, etc.)
- Knowledge of cloud services (Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Experience with Linux and Windows deployment environments
- Familiar with PostgreSQL, SQLServer, MongoDB, or other database systems (ex. Graph)
- Must be a self-starter, with a focus on continuous learning; and enjoys collaborating to discover innovative ways to solve challenges
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Experience with systems modeling, CAD/3D modeling, and/or requirements management.
- Salary Grade: .180 / 190
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.