Siting and Land Rights Intern - Minneapolis, MN Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Xcel Energy's Siting & Land Rights Department has an opportunity available for an internship in Minneapolis, MN. Siting and Land Rights is seeking a part time Permitting and Land Rights intern during the school year with the opportunity to work full time during summer breaks. This internship is an incredible opportunity to experience and learn about the real estate and development industry from the ground up at Xcel Energy. This intern role will perform the range of activities associated with the planning, siting and acquisition of permits and land rights for the construction, operation and maintenance of gas, electric and generation facilities for Xcel Energy and its operating and subsidiary companies.
The successful candidate will primarily work on a project to convert the landownership for an electric transmission line from fee ownership to easement. This project will benefit both Xcel Energy, the landowners, and the community. The intern will handle ROW document drafting, research, landowner interactions, and interactions with local government units including drafting researching ordinances, drafting applications and attending public meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of permits and land use applications.
- Support the Siting & Land Rights Department with land rights negotiations and associated title research and easement/lease document preparation.
- Assist with landowner notification of upcoming gas, electric and wind generation construction activities
- Coordinate the purchase and sale of property
- Attend meetings with stakeholders.
- Perform record keeping tasks
- Travel 25% to various local sites (company car will be provided for local travel)
- Pursuing a bachelor's degree in Land Use Planning, Real Estate or Surveying, pre-law,or related degree
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Reliable and able to prioritize and work independently
- A valid driver's license
- Able to commute
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- A Sophomore or above undergraduate, or graduate student
- GPA of 3.0
- Experience producing maps and graphics
- Able to commit to the internship for 12 months or longer
- This will be a summer opportunity with the potential to extend into a school semester. The candidate should be able to work full-time during the summer and 15-20 hrs./wk. during a school semester.
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Operations || 40064:Siting and Land Rights || Part-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $18.40 per hour
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits: Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays
Requisition Number: 47203
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.