Senior Research Scientist for Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Development for Extreme Environments
Idaho National Laboratory
INL has been designated as the lead Department of Energy laboratory for all aspects of nuclear fuels research and development in the United States. INL has the most comprehensive single-location nuclear fuel research capability in the US and, in particular, the most complete and complement of examination capabilities for studying the actinide materials and materials having undergone radiation damage.
INL is located in southeastern Idaho on the Snake River Plain. The region is a paradise for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts with Yellowstone National Park to the north, the Teton mountain range to the East, and Sun Valley ski resort to the west.
- Thought leadership associated with relevant technical areas of interest.
- Lead and contribute to winning proposals in current, allied or new areas of research.
- Pursue emerging and business opportunities in materials research and development, including generating, developing and supporting the expansion of research concepts that will provide funding for continued R&D activities.
- Actively contribute within a team of scientists and engineers to design, synthesize, and characterize heterostrucutred materials (including actinides) using molecular beam epitaxy.
- Investigate novel material properties resulting from strong electron correlation and quantum effects using a variety of experimental approaches.
- Collaborate with research partners at other Universities and Laboratories to meet the needs of a large BES research Center.
- Work with new equipment from installation through troubleshooting, calibration, and maintenance while developing standard operating procedures and communicating with equipment suppliers to address needs and problems.
- Conduct and document work at an appropriate quality level, including collection and interpretation of laboratory data, planning of research tasks.
- Organize and plan research tasks.
- Serve as a technical resource to others, both senior and junior as well as peers to current designation.
- Engage in mentorship activities of junior member of staff
- Build significant relationships that lead to funding of research activities, acquisition of new capabilities and formation of strong and resourceful research teams to enhance scientific work and endeavors at INL.
- Engage in technical activities that result in the international and national recognition.
- Enhancement of scientific stature and recognition nationally and internationally.
- Serve on technical advisory, regulatory and code committees.
- Technical presentations at national and international meetings, symposia and conferences.
- Interface within the laboratory and with domestic peers to carryout coordinated programs.
- Interphase and relationship management with sponsors and customer of scientific work being carried out.
- Publish peer reviewed scientific articles in internationally recognized journals as well as pursue opportunities for authorship of other publications like book sections and edited scientific volumes and books.
- Implementation of strategies for growth and recognition in scientific research in materials
- Preparation of reports and peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- Collate reports as Principal Investigator from research participants including University Partners to meet project achievements.
- Maintain currency in wide range of techniques and instrumentation capabilities commensurate with technology advancement in relevant field.
- Characterization of heterostructure and bulk materials with strong electron correlation effects.
- Represent the Department through programmatic and technical presentations to sponsors and peers at conferences and symposia, including the organization of such symposia and have regular involvement with external entities for business results.
- Maintain all training as listed in training plan and meet all ES&H requirements.
- Doctorate in materials science or closely related field with 20+ years' experience minimum.
- Proven success in winning competitively awarded funding proposals.
- Experience mentoring staff member, postdocs and graduate students (interns).
- Experience leading a large, multi-institutional team of researchers to meet a common goal.
- The position requires a solid background in one or more of the following areas: 1 - complex concentrated alloys, 2 - functional ceramics, 3 - radiation effects on physical properties.
- A strong publication record in these areas demonstrating both a familiarity with the current innovative as well as strength in technical writing and communicating.
- Hands-on expertise in materials design, characterization, ion irradiation measurements, and computational materials science to support ongoing and new fundamental materials science activities at INL.
- A track record of thought leadership and in the above-mentioned areas..
- Salary Grade: 250
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.