Senior Project Manager
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) Projects is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Senior Project Manager.
Our team works an on-site 4x10 schedule located at our Materials and Fuels Complex with every Friday off!
The Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking a senior project manager reporting to the MFC Projects Division Director to enable the deployment of the Micro-reactor Applications Research Validation and Evaluation (MARVEL) Project. The position will have a secondary reporting responsibility to the Micro reactor Program National Technical Director (MRP) (NTD). If you want to be part of the revitalization of nuclear energy research and development, including deployment of next generation nuclear reactors then this position is for you.
INL is recognized as the lead national laboratory for the United States Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy, providing much of the nuclear research, development, and demonstration capability needed to move nuclear innovation forward to deployment. MFC hosts a unique combination of personnel, facilities and infrastructure and offers the ability to perform research and development of nuclear fuels from fuel design, development and fabrication, and post irradiation analysis. MFC plays a pivotal role in demonstrating new, advanced nuclear technology concepts, including MARVEL, which will be constructed and operated at MFC's Transient Test Reactor (TREAT) facility. After successful completion of MARVEL, the project manager will transition to other advanced reactor demonstration projects or project(s) of similar nature.
The Project Manager will leverage breadth and depth of project/program management experience to enable the deployment of MARVEL at TREAT. The Project Manager will initiate, build, and mentor multidisciplinary teams with shared objectives, accountability, and ownership for MARVEL's mission. The Project Manager will work directly with the MRP NTD, MARVEL technical lead and chief designer, and the MARVEL Program Manager. They will work directly with MFC/TREAT operations, MFC/TREAT engineering, and other MFC/TREAT support functions to ensure proper scoping of MARVEL deliverables, facilitate work scope execution, and provide timely and accurate internal and external performance reporting. The Project Manager will actively identify issues/concerns that could impede delivery of products and services and will work closely with performing organizations to mitigate potential risks and to appropriately respond to challenges encountered during execution of work scope. As a senior project manager assigned to MFC, functions for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership, integration, and strategic direction to MARVEL and activities related to MARVEL deployment at MFC
- Provide cross-cutting communication and integration between various MFC/TREAT Divisions/Departments/Customers, Operations, Engineering, Safeguards and Security, and Nuclear Safety management to ensure integrated support and execution of advanced reactor demonstration projects
- Integrate work scope with other Laboratory organizations (quality, procurement, etc.), as necessary, to ensure successful delivery of MARVEL work scope
- Utilize project management techniques to assure technical, schedule, and budget baselines are controlled throughout the advanced reactor demonstration life-cycle
- Manage work activities in compliance with INL policies and procedures, with DOE Orders, and Federal, State, and Local regulations (where applicable), and Work for Other's (WFO)/Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA)
- Provide oversight for related project and control account managers to:
- Ensure MARVEL is completed in a safe manner, within budget, on schedule and in conformance with the appropriate standards and specifications
- Review and approve major purchase orders and contracts, and to monitor contractual commitments to ensure that work is being performed in accordance with requirements
- Ensure assigned activities are conducted in compliance with pertinent DOE Orders; Federal, State, and Local regulations; WFO/CRADA requirements; and established BEA policies
- Oversee internal and external performance reporting, including coordination of reporting with industry partners (as applicable) and integration of MARVEL activities with activities performed by others
- Provide oversight and initiate actions for development of related estimates, budgets, schedules, baseline, project controls, performance reports, and forecasts to ensure program objectives are met
- Translate MARVEL objectives into integrated strategies and tactics that optimize alignment with overall MFC/TREAT planning, while maximizing operational performance and resource alignment
- Provide special assignment and evaluation support to the MFC Projects Division Director, MRP NTD and MARVEL technical lead
- Provide support to the MRP NTD in preparation for and completion of interactions with DOE
- Responsible for technical comprehension of engineering, procurement, quality, and industry processes including their interfaces and interdependencies
- BS and 8-12 years exp, MS and 6-8 years or PhD and 4-6 years relevant experience
- Relevant experience includes nuclear and commercial/industry program and project management experience
- Familiarity with INL processes and programs desired
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship
- Must have senior level program/project management experience
- Salary Grade 220 ($104,688 - $172,668)/240 ($135,816 - $230,904)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.