Senior Power System Trader Job
Location(s): CO - Denver
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Oversee Power System Traders in their decision making process to coordinate and maintain hourly energy balance between demand requirements and supply resources at the lowest possible cost. Implement strategies. Dispatch generation facilities and purchase power resources with economic consideration and to maintain system integrity, meeting all reliability requirements as established by NERC or other authority. Develop and maintain an hourly system position and derive economic incremental and avoided cost pricing signals. Maximize the economic benefit to the system by identifying additional trading opportunities available through the open market, and engage in financial and bilateral transactions that benefit the system. NERC certification is a requirement to this position(This can be obtained within 8 months of start date). Ability to work on multiple systems is required to achieve senior status.
- Develop an hourly load demand forecast for the current and next day operations. Derive a system position, incorporating the demand obligations and resource availability, in order to economically direct the commitment of generation facilities within the system and dispatch other contractually available assets to meet total obligation requirements. Maintain and revise hourly forecasts and system position throughout the day as system conditions change due to unit availabilities, reserve requirements or load deviations. Coordinate these adjustments with the generating plants. Plan and schedule short notice facility outages and derates. Derive system cost signals. Forecast and optimize natural gas utilization and convey scheduling needs to the fuels group. Identify and resolve issues which result in economic inefficiencies. Participate in the development and implementation of improved operating policies and procedures.
- Purchase/sell and schedule energy from economic suppliers/sinks on an hourly basis. Interact and coordinate with the real-time traders to maximize hourly market products for the system. Optimize the system position with financial and physical energy transactions. Input and manage hourly binding generation offers and balance system position associated with ISO markets. Continually monitor the marketplace in search for additional energy trading opportunities. Coordinate and implement these energy transactions.
- Schedule and account for daily/hourly transactions in the power system accounting system, making revisions when necessary to balance books. Coordinate and confirm daily transactions. Assist analysts in tracking, trending, and analyzing the performance of the daily dispatch, including asset optimization and scheduled transaction valuation. Maintain operational documentation via electronic log. Maintain documentation necessary to verify and complete accurate costing of sales. Maintain data as required by regulatory staff.
- Communicate with Security Coordinators, Control Area Operators and Transmission Operators on a continual basis, exchanging reliability data specific to generation in order to maintain system integrity. Implement actions requested by any of the previously mentioned authorities in order to provide the necessary system ancillary services and ensure system reliability. Take corrective action such that service interruptions and equipment damage are minimized.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics, Mathematics, or Engineering (6 years related experience may substitute for the degree)
- 5 years experience in power system dispatching
- Working knowledge of power systems operations and energy industry structure and market
- NERC certification
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || Operations and Generation || 25250:Power Operations || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $108,000 to $153,333 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 53291
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.