Senior IT Systems Administrator
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) works to make the power grid smarter by developing and deploying innovative information technology solutions to meet New York's dynamic energy needs. The NYISO's Information Technology department invites applications for a full-time Senior IT Administrator to join our Information Technology Team.
The Senior IT Administrator is responsible for
- Administering large, multi-site UNIX server environments and operating systems, software package installation, upgrades, system integrity, security, disaster recovery and performance adhering to server administration and user standards and procedures.
- Administering Storage Area Network (SAN), Network-Attached Storage (NAS), and all other systems classified as storage technologies; installs, configures, tests, and implements storage management hardware and software; monitors use and availability of storage resources
- Maintaining IT automation and cloud technologies.
- Leading or participating on project teams and collaborate with application developers and infrastructure peers as necessary.
- Performing backup and restoration procedures, support audit efforts and ensure compliance with corporate and regulatory standards; mentors and trains associate Administrators;establishes and maintains working relationships with IT partners, business customers, and vendors. The successful candidate will ensure all systems adhere to all established NYISO and regulatory (i.e. NERC CIP) standards and provide 24x7 technical support on a rotational basis.
- Bachelor's Degree (BS), Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar technical program required; Master's Degree (MS) desired.
- Minimum seven years experience as a Unix/Linux and/or Storage Administrator in an enterprise environment
The NYISO takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package and innovative reward programs.
The NYISO offers the flexibility to work both in the office and remotely, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance. While the majority of the responsibilities of this role can be performed remotely, in most cases, employees will have periodic on-site requirements based on business needs. Full remote opportunities may be available in some cases.
NYISO requires a COVID vaccine as a condition of employment but complies with all state and federal laws. All offers of employment will be made contingent upon the successful completion of a drug screening and background check.
The NYISO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
About this Employer
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) is responsible for the reliable operation of New York’s nearly 11,000 miles of high-voltage transmission and the dispatch of more than 500 electric power generators. In addition, we administer bulk power markets that trade an average of $7.8 billion in electricity and related products annually.
As a not-for-profit independent system operator, we are governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Participants and Stakeholders in New York’s electricity markets play a significant role in our unique shared governance system.
We employ more than 550 people and occupy two locations in New York's Capital Region. Given the technical complexity of our mission, over a quarter of the company’s staff are devoted to the development and support of information technology. We have a diverse and engaged workforce, and have been recognized as a top employer in the region.