Senior IT Security Specialist
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) applies cutting-edge technology to operating a reliable electricity system, managing competitive markets for wholesale electricity, and planning for the Empire State's energy future. The NYISO's Information Technology department invites applications for a full-time Senior IT Security Specialist.
The Senior IT Security Specialist provides information security services to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of NYISO information and technical environments and to support NYISO's enterprise security goals and objectives. The Senior IT Security Specialist evaluates existing NYISO security measures, assesses the effectiveness of those measures, and recommends changes that will improve all aspects of NYISO security. Other responsibilities include:
- Design, develop, implement and maintain highly available solutions providing documentation of failover, backup and disaster recovery processes for all products in the access management portfolio including, but not limited to: Identity Governance and Lifecycle (IGL), Privileged Access Management (PAM), Physical Access Management, and Cloud Identity Services.
- Responsible for delivery via the analysis, administration and operations of Role-Based Access Controls (RBAC), entitlement collections, provisioning and Access Reviews working with IT partners, and business customers.
- Leads, develops and maintains the access management Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on a regular basis to ensure compliance with corporate and regulatory standards as well as provide recommendations for operational improvements including automation and streamline processing opportunities.
- Provides subject matter expertise for internal and external audits, including NERC CIP audits. Retrieves, analyzes, and presents data for audit requests; delivering artifacts and evidence to demonstrate compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree (BS) in Information Security, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or similar fields. Master's Degree (MS, MBA) preferred.
- At least seven years of experience in progressively responsible information technology and/or IT security positions is required, along with an in-depth understanding of information security best practices, and expertise with related security technologies and tools.
- E xperience in Identity and Access Management (IAM) & related technologies, including Directory Services, Single Sign-On, Authorization & Authentication Technologies, User Provisioning, Privileged Access Management, Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), etc.
- Hands-On experience with one or more IAM tools for Identity Governance Lifecycle, Physical Access controls, privilege access, and Cloud Identity Services.
- Certificate Management experience and end user support of certificate processing is desirable .
- Hands-On experience with Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) tools.
- User Directory Administration experience and System Administration experience a plus
Please note: The position will be filled at the level (Associate IT Security Specialist, IT Security Specialist, Senior IT Security Specialist) appropriate with experience and qualifications.
The NYISO takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package and innovative reward programs.
The NYISO offers the flexibility to work both in the office and remotely, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance. While the majority of the responsibilities of this role can be performed remotely, in most cases, employees will have periodic on-site requirements based on business needs. Full remote opportunities may be available in some cases.
NYISO requires a COVID vaccine as a condition of employment but complies with all state and federal laws. All offers of employment will be made contingent upon the successful completion of a drug screening and background check.
The NYISO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
About this Employer
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) is responsible for the reliable operation of New York’s nearly 11,000 miles of high-voltage transmission and the dispatch of more than 500 electric power generators. In addition, we administer bulk power markets that trade an average of $7.8 billion in electricity and related products annually.
As a not-for-profit independent system operator, we are governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Participants and Stakeholders in New York’s electricity markets play a significant role in our unique shared governance system.
We employ more than 550 people and occupy two locations in New York's Capital Region. Given the technical complexity of our mission, over a quarter of the company’s staff are devoted to the development and support of information technology. We have a diverse and engaged workforce, and have been recognized as a top employer in the region.