Senior Cybersecurity Researcher
Idaho National Laboratory
- Development and maintenance of custom code used to analyze network traffic and proprietary protocols, develops attack and defense methodology and code on high risk computer networks.
- Responsible for supervising and training junior researchers in developing technical solutions for information operations and analysis related to national security topics including intrusion analysis, systems and vulnerabilities, network security, advanced analytic tools and data visualization techniques and other areas as needed.
- Responsible for working with senior engineers and to develop junior engineers to identify security issues of existing platforms and applications.
- Develops concepts, algorithms and methods for detecting and preventing network attacks. Develops and maintains code used to find weaknesses in systems to verify patch effectiveness. Conducts penetration testing and vulnerability assessments. Performs advanced analysis and/or reverse engineering of various type of computer code in order to identify suspect source code.
- Writes scripts and develops software utilities to automate security analysis efforts. Working with senior program/technical staff plans, conducts and supervises assignments, reviews progress and evaluates results.
- Supervises and participates in project teams to produce proposals for new work including joint projects with industry.
- Maintains awareness of potential sponsors and their current objectives and funding levels. Continually build and maintain customer relationships and support customer request with briefings and papers.
- Positive and interactive customer interface and communication skills (verbal, written) are required.
- Authors technical papers, reports and proposals for internal and external release as well as represents the organization by giving technical presentations in large public forums.
- Participates in both National and International forums for the development of significant new concepts or novel approaches to Cyber Security.
- Sets and implements high standards for safety, security, environmental compliance and Mission Delivery, and oversees successful project/program execution consistent with INL's standards and procedures to identify and mitigate risk (cost, schedule and quality).
Preferred degree disciplines are: Computer Science/Engineering, Math, or other technical degree with a strong Computer Science background.
- BS plus 5-8 years, or MS plus 3-6 years, or Ph.D. plus 2 - 4.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Salary Grade: 240/250
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.