Scientific and Technical Information Specialist
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Information Storage and Retrieval group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Scientific and Technical Information Specialist! This team works a remote 9x80 schedule with every other Friday off.
- Support and advance the research life cycle through the collection, preservation, and appropriate dissemination of research documents, software, data-sets, multimedia, presentations, and publications.
- Coordinate with the DOE Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI) on the release and dissemination of INL research products according to DOE directives.
- Provide day-to-day oversight of the STI reviewing and releasing process. Works with information architects, software developers, and STI customers to identify, analyze and address technology needs and future direction.
- Help maintain the image and branding of INL through application of standardized templates and document controls according to DOE, INL, and academic publishing standards.
- Provide vision and insight into future technology and program needs and will be self-directed and independently motivated.
- Engage in meeting the needs of INL's researchers and management through the use and deployment of research products and reporting metrics.
- Work with various Laboratory customers to provide timely, responsive, accurate and value-adding customer services.
- Contribute to strategic planning with respect to technology enhancement and information access.
- Develop and maintain the electronic resources supporting the STI program.
- Collaborate with others to identify and develop new technologies for delivering information and promoting knowledge through STI and INL electronic platforms.
- Support the maintenance and updating of strategic plans, bench-marking studies, and outreach efforts.
- Provide outreach and training on INL STI management, related systems, and requirements to all levels of laboratory staff and management.
- Provide specialized training and demonstrations of STI systems and services though individual customer contact and informational group presentations.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with INL research staff, DOE-ID, and DOE OSTI counterparts.
- Collaborate with researchers to address and meet the evolving need for capture, review, preservation, and dissemination of research products in all formats.
- Implement continuous process improvement and innovation to enhance the customer experience.
- Capture, organize, interpret, and disseminate researcher and laboratory productivity metrics focused on research product output.
- Collaborate with management on the implementation and delivery of metric reporting tools and processes to support decision making and planning across the laboratory.
- Collaborates with IT architects and system programmers to design, maintain, and improve STI related systems and services.
- Research and recommend new customer services and tools.
- Train staff and customers in the use of new applications and provide continuing support for use of systems.
- Represent INL at the annual DOE Scientific and Technical Information Meeting and other professional meetings and reports to management and staff on emerging trends and changes in DOE directives and requirements.
- Participate in monthly STIP calls with DOE OSTI and STI representatives from other DOE labs.
- Participation and contribution to lab initiatives, trainings, team building, and other professional development.
- Applicable Bachelor's Degree plus 2 years relevant experience in related information science field.
- Strong oral & written communications and organizational skills
- Strong service orientation to customers and co-workers.
- Able to take initiatives for needed projects and to work independently.
- Able to work with all levels of laboratory personnel to coordinate work responsibilities and solve problems.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas and plans both verbally and in writing to non-technical staff and customers in a helpful and friendly manner.
- Must be able to demonstrate project management, analytical, and problem-solving skills, with an interest in complex and detailed work.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with aspects of information science and the research life-cycle including academic publishing, metadata control, knowledge management, research and publication metrics (h-index, citation index, journal impact).
- Experiences in the use of electronic information systems and a high level of computer literacy, as well as the ability to evaluate and use electronic information systems and databases and work with technical personnel to resolve problems.
- Salary Grade 180 ($62,640 - $100,224)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities, and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959, must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.