Sample Preparations Laboratory (SPL) Research and Operations Lead
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Sample Preparations Laboratory (SPL) group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Research and Operations Lead.
Our team works an on-site 4x10 schedule located at our Materials and Fuels Complex with every Friday off!
The Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking candidates for the Sample Preparation Laboratory (SPL) Research and Operations Lead role. This service-oriented role supports efficient and effective support and mission critical activities and is intended to be a senior leadership pipeline position with mutual expectations towards career advancement. The role will have the opportunity to manage and support the following mission critical activities:
- training program implementation
- safety basis implementation
- conduct of operations and research program activities
- radioactive material program and tracking
- waste management process and assist in waste characterization
- benchmarking internal and external entities for best practices
- readiness review activities
- budget management
- and contractor assurance activities such as assessments or event investigations
- project planning and disposition
- writing procedures
- coaching and/or training research staff
- and other research related requests
Once constructed, the SPL will be a modern reactor structural material testing and analysis facility, dedicated to the investigation of materials in support of the deployment of new reactor innovations and life extension/long-term operation of both existing reactors and new reactor concepts. SPL will have improved sample preparation processes to enable greater industry and university collaboration, providing access to state-of-the-art mechanical testing and failure analysis characterization tools. SPL will be a 49,000 square foot, non-alpha, Hazard Category 3 non-reactor nuclear facility.
This position will be on a 4-10's work schedule with opportunity for additional flexibility (e.g., potential teleworking depending on tasks, paid time off combines vacation and sick time, flex time). There are INL provided buses from strategic locations in the Idaho Falls and surrounding area to MFC and other site locations. The Eastern Idaho area is a growing community close to great outdoor activities and destinations such as Yellowstone National Park and Jackson Hole.
- Bachelor's Degree and 5-8 years relevant experience, OR Master's degree and 3-6 years relevant experience, OR 13-16 years relevant experience and actively pursuing a degree
- Experience in nuclear research and development, nuclear or radiological facility operations or management, or reactor plant operations or management in DOE, NRC, university, or similar settings
- Must have demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders and management to maximize results supporting mission outcomes
- Highly organized and willingness to track valuable and high consequence items
- Must have the ability and willingness to obtain and maintain a Radiological Worker I or II qualification
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "L" clearance, which requires US Citizenship
- Degrees in engineering or science related fields
- Progressive operations and/or research experience including knowledge of associated regulations
- Technical knowledge in mathematics, nuclear physics, chemistry, materials, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, electrical, instrumentation and control theory, and problem solving/troubleshooting techniques
- Salary Grade 200 ($79,140 - $130,572)/210 ($91,032 - $150,156)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.