Resource Planning Analyst I Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Develop, run, and maintain long range resource planning models for Xcel Energy's three operating companies. Prepare quantitative analysis new generation resources, identifying system cost, environmental, and capital budget impacts for various generation alternatives. Provide long range estimates of power generation costs and market purchases. Calculate revenue requirement streams for large capital investments. Apply stochastic analysis techniques to quantify the risk associated with particular generation alternatives.
- Develop/run/maintain long range resource planning model. Ensure accuracy of model input assumptions and verify that simulations and optimizations are functioning correctly.
- Produce comprehensive quantitative analysis for executives and regulatory filings. Analysis includes energy production, emission, and capital budget forecasts.
- Implement stochastic (Monte Carlo) simulations around areas of significant uncertainty to identify total system costs variance around various generation alternatives.
- Interface and work with Forecasting, Risk Management, Trading, Gas Supply, Coal Supply, Transmission Operations and other Xcel groups to incorporate short-term and long-range considerations into the optimal resource plans, including transmission constraints, growth forecasts, fuel and electricity market price risks, etc.
- In conjunction with Risk Management, ensure that the expansion plan and production cost modeling of the utility power systems is accurate and current in terms of fuel costs, production capability (heat rates, capacity, starting and variable operating cost, etc.), contract terms (scheduling flexibility, constraints, availability, etc.).
- Research new techniques in quantitative optimization for application to resource planning analysis.
- Maintain working knowledge of emerging generation technology with the potential for future inclusion in the company's generation portfolio.
- Follow developments in major federal and state policies that affect the company's resource plan (i.e. emission regulations and renewable energy standards.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, finance, economics, operations research, mathematics, business (2 years professional experience related experience equivalent to one year of college)
- 2 years of energy industry experience or equivalent experience working with large optimization / forecasting models
- Graduate work in finance, economics, operations research or decision analysis
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver; MN - Minneapolis; TX - Amarillo || United States (US) || Customer And Innovation || 25410:Integrated Planning || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $77,000 to $109,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 49838
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.