Resource Operations Manager
Electric Reliability Council of Texas
ERCOT is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion at all levels of our company. It is the cornerstone of our corporate values of accountability, leadership, innovation, trust, and expertise. We accept and celebrate those that join us and recognize that individuals with a wide variety of talents, ideas, and experiences propel the innovation that drives our success. A diverse and inclusive workforce strengthens us and allows for a collaborative environment to solve the challenges that face our industry today and in the future.
ERCOT offers the flexibility to work both in and out of the office within the state of Texas, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance.
Working in Grid Operations at ERCOT provides an excellent opportunity to contribute to the real-time operations of the electric power grid while developing your engineering and leadership skills. Our world class, exceptional engineering teams work collaboratively with generators and control room operators to solve the energy demands of today using cutting edge technologies and resources.
Manages the real-time operations of the electric power grid for the ERCOT system. Responsible for ensuring real-time operation of the ERCOT electric system is done in a reliable manner in accordance with all applicable reliability standards, guides and protocols.
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, training, and performance management of staff.
- Frequently interacts with reporting supervisors, customers, and/or functional peer group managers, normally involving matters between functional areas or customers.
- Responsible for the management of subordinate staff within a department. Typically has individual contributors as direct reports, but could have supervisory direct reports. Has full responsibility for direct reports.
- Generally provides input to budgeting and financial decisions that impact the department. Requests approval for financial actions beyond a limited scope.
- Develops and maintains the resources and procedures necessary for the real-time resource operations of the electric power grid for the ERCOT system
- Responsible for ensuring real-time operation of the ERCOT electric system is done in a reliable manner in accordance with all applicable reliability standards, guides and protocols
- Responsible for coaching, and training of staff of resource-related control room desks
- Works with other groups across ERCOT to guide the development of systems, tools and training necessary for the reliable and efficient real-time resource operations of the system
- Establishes and communicates system and market priorities and subsequent action necessary to Managers
- Interfaces with market participants by ensuring System Operations participation in subcommittees such as the OWG and ROS and their working groups to provide information on ERCOT systems and capabilities and provide informed leadership where appropriate
- Develops recommendations and provides guidance on issues regarding real time System Operations based on knowledge of ERCOT Protocols, Operating Guides, experience and interpretation of protocols
- Recommends protocol or procedural changes to executive officers to facilitate reliable and efficient transmission within ERCOT's grid
- Develops policy recommendations on system transmission services to maintain the reliability of grid operations
- Proactively manages and prioritizes issues, including system changes with available resources
- Communicates with market and public to provide information on ERCOT and its functions by periodically making presentations at ERCOT approved seminars, venues and industry conferences
- FERC orders Maintains a current & expert knowledge of ERCOT protocols, operating guides, NERC Reliability Standards and
- Develops strong working relationships and partnerships with other ERCOT ISO departments and stakeholders
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the State of Texas (preferred)
- NERC Certification as a Reliability Coordinator (required)
- ERCOT System Operator Certification (required)
- Requires minimum 8 years job related work experience and 2 years in a leadership role in excess of degree requirements.
- Minimum years of job related experience can include time in leadership roles.
- Bachelor's Degree : Electrical Engineering or related field (Required)
- Master's Degree : Engineering, Business Administration (Preferred)
- or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
- NERC Certification (Required)
- PE Professional Engineer (Preferred)
About this Employer
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to more than 26 million Texas customers -- representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 52,700+ miles of transmission lines and 1,030+ generation units, including PUNs. It also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 8 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.