Resource Adequacy Analyst/Engineer
TheNewYorkIndependentSystemOperator(NYISO)managestheefficientflowof electricity on more than 11,000circuit-milesofhigh-voltagetransmissionlines,dispatchingpowerfromhundreds ofgeneratingunits across thestate.The NYISO'sMarket Operations department invites applications for a full-time Resource Adequacy Analyst/Engineer.
The successful candidate should be excited to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment and ready to engage with a steady stream of new ideas and perspectives.
TheResource Adequacy Analyst/Engineer.t willevaluatethe reliability of the New York State Bulk Power System (BPS) from a resource adequacy perspective. The successful candidate will fill one (or both) of several key roles on the team.
- Bachelor's Degree (BS) in Power Systems, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering, or Systems Engineering is required for the Resource Adequacy Engineer role. Bachelor's Degree (BS) in Economics, Mathematics or Applied Science is required for the Resource Adequacy Analyst role. Master's degree (MS) preferred.
- Course studies in power system operation and control, statistical analysis and optimization techniques particularly using linear programming based computer models highly desired.
- Course studies in coding are highly desired.
- Experience in the areas of power system modeling, energy policy analysis and/or power plant operations is desired.
- Experience using statistical analysis tools such as MatLab and power system reliability analysis programs is desired.
- Background in models and databases used in power system analyses are also a plus;or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The position will be filled at the level (i.e. Associate Engineer/Analyst, Engineer/Analyst or Senior Engineer/Analyst) appropriate with experience and qualifications.
The NYISO takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package and innovative reward programs.
The NYISO offers the flexibility to work both in the office and remotely, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance. While the majority of the responsibilities of this role can be performed remotely, in most cases, employees will have periodic on-site requirements based on business needs. Full remote opportunities may be available in some cases.
NYISO requires a COVID vaccine as a condition of employment but complies with all state and federal laws. All offers of employment will be made contingent upon the successful completion of a drug screening and background check.
The NYISO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
About this Employer
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) is responsible for the reliable operation of New York’s nearly 11,000 miles of high-voltage transmission and the dispatch of more than 500 electric power generators. In addition, we administer bulk power markets that trade an average of $7.8 billion in electricity and related products annually.
As a not-for-profit independent system operator, we are governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Participants and Stakeholders in New York’s electricity markets play a significant role in our unique shared governance system.
We employ more than 550 people and occupy two locations in New York's Capital Region. Given the technical complexity of our mission, over a quarter of the company’s staff are devoted to the development and support of information technology. We have a diverse and engaged workforce, and have been recognized as a top employer in the region.