Research Software Scientist Postdoctoral Research Associate
Idaho National Laboratory
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Learn more about INL Digital Thread Capabilities!
The Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking a well-qualified Postdoctoral Research Associate in Software Engineering or comparable discipline for the Digital Engineering Department. This postdoctoral researcher will focus on developing cutting edge capabilities with the digital engineering initiative for advanced energy systems. Digital, model-based approaches will transform current engineering practices, securely connecting people, processes, data, and capabilities across an end-to-end digital ecosystem. Next generation technologies in advanced computing, big data analytics, internet-of-things, and Machine Learning (ML)/Artificial Intelligence (AI) will be enabled through the ecosystem to help domain specialists solve challenges in new, innovative ways through a virtual environment. The successful individual will be a critical team member in developing the software framework for the digital ecosystem and will have the following skills:
• Development experience developing software applications from scratch using modern software development strategies
• Experience with user interface development using reactive web technologies
• Knowledge of REST-based web services
• Familiarity with database design and development (relational; non-relational; graph-based)
• Willing to work with scientists to solve complex problems (ex. Digital Twins, Digital Thread)
The candidate is expected to be a strong asset to our interdisciplinary R&D team and work effectively both alone and as a team member. The candidate must be self-motivated but also take direction from other team members and peers.
The position entails writing scientific manuscripts for journal publication, and presentation of research results at national and international conferences and meetings.
• PhD requirements must be completed by commencement of appointment and within the previous 5 years
• PhD in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Math, other forms of engineering, or comparable disciplines
• Demonstrated oral and published written communication skills in English
• Familiar with developing software in multiple languages (ex. Node.js, Python, C++, C#, Rust, Go, Scala, Swift, and/or JAVA)
• Knowledge of cloud services (Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
• Experience with Linux and Windows deployment environments
• Familiar with PostgreSQL, SQLServer, MongoDB, or other database systems (ex. Graph)
• (optional) Experience with systems modeling, CAD/3D modeling, and/or requirements management is a plus
• A self-starter, with a focus on continuous learning and enjoys collaborating to discovery innovative ways to solve challenges
• Familiarity with web user interface technologies (Vue.js, React, Angular, etc.)
• Knowledge of web backend technologies (RESTful design, GraphQL, WebSockets/Messaging, etc.)
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, Idaho National Laboratory will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidates to comply with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable. If safety protocols evolve to include mandatory vaccinations, Idaho National Laboratory will require compliance with such vaccine mandates subject to applicable protections under State and Federal Law.
Idaho National Laboratory has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with Idaho National Laboratory's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is changing the world's energy future and securing our infrastructure! Join us - innovate the future!
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). This includes U.S. born and naturalized citizens, parolees, undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, asylum seekers, refugees, and all males with visas of any kind which expired more than 30 days ago. The few individuals who are exempt from this requirement are those on current non-immigrant visas. For more information see www.sss.gov.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
Environmental, Safety and Health Statement
Must be familiar with, and comply with all relevant health and safety requirements. Must be knowledgeable of emergency action policies and procedures, methods for reporting/resolving work practices or conditions to available cognizant professionals.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/. .
The Idaho Falls Area
Idaho Falls is conveniently situated near many national treasures such as Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park, Jackson, WY, etc. For more information about the area, please visit www.visitidahofalls.com and www.visitidaho.org .
Work Location: Idaho Falls, ID (IRC 9X80's Schedule)
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.