Reliability Engineering Intern- MN Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
- Support operations and maintenance in day-to-day activities associated with the operation of combustion turbine driven generators and associated equipment. The support involves interacting with the Plant Management, Operations/Maintenance/Fleet Engineering/Reliability Engineering personnel on all aspects of operating and maintaining the equipment. Duties range from basic documentation to full project management with depth of involvement being commensurate with experience and abilities. The intern will put what they have learned into practice while working on pumps, fans, motors, valves, transformers, switchgear, controls, generators, combustion turbines, steam turbines, condensers, relays, regulators, instrumentation, control systems, and HMI's. Xcel Energy has many opportunities for these positions to build into full-time employment after graduation.
- (Example Project) Ready to Start following Loss of All Offsite Power: Work with the Engineering staff to identify loads required to safely bring the units to a shutdown and ready to start condition following loss of all offsite power. Work as an entry level engineering analyst doing tasks involving tools, programs, drawings/prints, and databases to identify total loads, where the loads are powered, adequacy of the power supply(ies), and development of future projects to address any deficiencies identified during the project. Through practical operations experience and mentoring, a successful candidate will gain significant professional confidence and people skills.
- This will be a summer opportunity with the potential to extend into a school semester. The candidate should be able to work full-time during the summer and potentially up to 15-20 hrs./wk. during a school semester, depending upon proximity of the school to the work location.
(Starting pay is based on Sophomore college level and will increase each additional year of college)
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Controls (computer) engineering from an ABET accredited school
- Must be Sophomore or higher
- Good communication skills, writing and verbal
- Fluent (and easily understandable speech) in English
- Willingness to learn
- Being an independent and self relying employee
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Burnsville || MN - Burnsville; MN - Minneapolis; MN - St Paul || United States (US) || Operations and Generation || 50105:ES PO REL Eng BD HB RS || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $20.70 per hour
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits: Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays
Requisition Number: 48584
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.