Radioisotope Power Systems Quality Engineer
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Radioisotope Power System (RPS) Quality group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Radioisotope Power Systems (RPS) Quality Engineer! This team works an on-site 4x10 schedule located at our Material and Fuels Complex (MFC) facility with every Friday off.
- Serve as a SME and Technical Lead Quality Engineer (QE) to support the Radioisotope Power Systems (RPS) Program of Battelle Energy Alliance.
- Work with internal and external agencies and customers including DOE & DOE Laboratories, NASA, Aerojet Rocketdyne and Teledyne Energy Systems as the primary Quality Engineering Lead for all quality related aspects of RPS missions.
- Provide quality program consulting to line managers making recommendations for proper implementation of quality program requirements and process improvement.
- Ensure quality program weakness and areas for process improvement are properly identified and resolved.
- Function as a recognized domain expert and sought out for peer review by junior Quality staff and program/project technical staff and management.
- Assist in solving complex problems using engineering knowledge to provide solutions.
- Mentor peers and engineers in developing and maintaining INL quality program requirements.
- Review and prepare documentation to ensure compliance with NQA-1, DOE, company, and corporate established QA requirements.
- Review and approve work control documents and define quality hold and inspection points.
- Develop quality inspection requirements.
- Engage in cross-program QA implementation to improve consistency and standardization.
- Perform and lead quality assurance assessments to determine compliance implementation.
- Review designs, planning, safety basis documents, material requisitions, and procedures for compliance with established INL QA program requirements.
- Advise management and personnel of and provide solutions to quality compliance and implementation issues.
- Coordinate and lead all aspects of the distribution, execution, and completion of work assignments among junior personnel based on tasking by management.
- As the Technical Lead QE for INL's RPS Program, provide expert services to RPS Engineering, RPS Nuclear Operations and other non-program organizations relating to design review, fabrication, work planning, non-conformances, document configuration control, procurement, operations and maintenance activities regardless of the specific mission.
- Prepare and obtain approval of data packages for high value materials and sub-assemblies including traceability, chain of custody, and all other requirements as mandated by Interface Working Agreements and other external customer requirements documents.
- Maintain professional certification (ASQ) and mentor peers and associates in obtaining and maintaining professional certification.
- Level 3- BS in engineering, technology, or other scientific field and 5 years relevant experience, or MS and 3 years relevant experience, or PhD and 2 years relevant experience.
- Level 4- BS in engineering, technology, or other scientific field and 8 years relevant experience, or MS and 6 years relevant experience, or PhD and 4 years relevant experience.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain radiation worker I qualification
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Technical Staff qualification for nuclear facilities (specifically, Space and Security Power Systems Facility).
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer.
- Salary Grade 210 ($93,492 - $154,212) / Salary Grade 220 ($107,520 - $177,336)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: Testing designated position; It will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting, and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959, must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.