Property & Sales Tax Consultant or Senior Consultant- Hybrid Job
Job Grade: Q
Hierarchy: Yes - We may hire at a higher level
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
This position is posted as a hierarchy at the Consultant level or Senior Consultant level. Successful candidate(s) will be hired at the level that is commensurate with their skills and experience
Provide high-level technical expertise in all property and sales/use tax reporting matters, and provide leadership in coordinating team efforts. This position actively participates in the identification of tax issues, leads and performs transaction research, and implements changes in tax statutes, regulations, and rules. This position promotes accurate and timely reporting of tax information by leveraging data analytics and technology resources.
- Property and Sales/Use Tax Compliance - Complete and/or review the accurate and timely filing of all property and sales/use tax filings as well as the analysis of the data used in the completion of these filings. Provide support for corporate systems used to meet statutory and analytical sales/use and property tax reporting requirements. Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of state and local property and sales tax laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations. Coordinate tax payments in a manner that minimizes company cash requirements.
- Accounting and Forecasting - Participate at a high technical level in the computation, recording, and documentation of property and sales/use tax accruals to ensure compliance with GAAP, regulatory, and Sarbanes-Oxley provisions. Coordinate team efforts related to accounting, forecasting and internal or external reporting.
- Team Leadership - Direct the day-to-day activities of the tax analysts and senior analysts in coordinating the overall activities of the Property and Sales/Use Tax Reporting team.
- Property and Sales/Use Tax Defense - Represent the company to tax authorities in regard to tax reporting matters. Provide timely responses to information requests and coordinate team efforts to ensure efficient completion of audits. Facilitate the resolution of issues to attain the lowest fair tax payable. Provide in-depth transactional research, experience and creative thinking to the process of gathering facts, evaluating alternative positions, and determining strategies.
- Property and Sales/Use Tax Strategy - Keep abreast of and effectively communicate current changes in tax laws, ordinances, regulations, and rulings. Monitor and evaluate initiatives and trends that impact the company and industry. Assist in the development of strategies and plans and provide consulting to business areas. Develop and maintain contacts both inside and outside the company for purposes of seeking out tax minimization opportunities.
- Implement Technical Amendments and Conduct Transaction Research - Implement tax statutes, regulations and rules to ensure conformity with these authorities. Perform research on existing transactions to confirm taxability decisions.
Consultant Level Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in accounting with either a CPA or Master of Business Taxation degree.
- At least 4 to 6 or more years of related experience with large corporate income taxes.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate information and recommendations to department management.
- Effective at giving and receiving information in individual or group situations.
Sr Consultant Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree required
- Minimum of 5 - 8, or more years of tax or accounting experience.
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP, SEC, FERC and various other regulatory rules.
- Effective Communication Skills
- Master's Degree or equivalent certification. For example, CPA, CMA, CFA, IA, etc.
- Advisory firm, investment banking, public accounting, and/or other relevant experience
Consultant Level: $79,000 to $113,000 per year
Sr Consultant Level: $90,000 to $127,332 per year
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || CFO Organization || 75600:Tax Services || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $79,000 to $113,000 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 53310
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.