Project Engineer - Automation
If you are an engineer with demonstrated experience in electric power systems and are interested in applying your skills to promote, support, and develop distribution control products and solutions that serve the electric power industry, we invite you to apply to this opportunity in our Pullman, WA office!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Possesses, understands and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of power system focus area* and related SEL products.
2. Train and assist customers with the creation, design, configuration, validation, installation, commissioning and operation of automation and/or protection systems.
3. Complete and implement assigned work within agreed upon scope, schedule and budget to a high level of quality and safety.
4. Participate in the preparation of functional design specifications.
5. Prepare and maintain detailed design documents, reports, checklists, test reports, and deliverables.
6. Follow and apply SEL Values, Principles of Operations, and World Class Manufacturing Principles.
7. Understand. Create. Simplify.
8. Other duties as assigned.
B.S. in Electrical Engineering or relevant discipline
2+ years relevant application experience with electric power systems, industry practices, and * focus area practices and philosophies
Good knowledge of electric power system protection and control, integration and/or automation and communications applications
Working knowledge of electric power system design, studies, information and communication technology and protective relay applications
Willing to travel both domestically and internationally a minimum of 25% based on focus area
Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
Background check results satisfactory to SEL
Negative drug test result(s)
Engineer in Training certificate
Electrical utility, industrial plant, consulting engineering, or system integrator experience
Project engineering experience
Working knowledge of Vision or other project management tracking software
Focus Area = Protection, Automation, Design, Studies, Commissioning, Security, Networking, and Project Management
- Protection = system protection, protective relays and their applications, settings, and testing
- Automation = software, integration and automation, industrial controls, PLCs, industry protocols (IEC-61850, DNP, Modbus), Ethernet systems, protocol analyzers, and industry SCADA practices
- Design = analyze technical specifications; create detailed physical and electrical designs, bill of materials, and job estimates
- Studies = demonstrated experience using PSSE, ETAP, and/or RTDS. Strong electrical power systems knowledge.
- Commissioning = perform commissioning and site acceptance testing in the field, train and assist customers with installation, commissioning and operation of devices. Up to 80% travel.
- Security = industrial control system security experience, including technical controls, security assessments, policies, plans and procedures. CISSP and/or GSEC or equivalent certifications required. Working knowledge of NERC/CIP compliance and/or NIST SP800 security requirements. Ability to obtain security clearance.
- Networking = industrial control system networking experience, including provision, design, test and implementation supporting system reliability, dependability and security. Working knowledge of NERC/CIP compliance and/or NIST SP800 security requirements. Ability to obtain security clearance.
- Project Manager = Full life-cycle project management of multiple large multi-discipline projects from proposal conception to commissioning and close-out. Effectively track and stabilize projects, implement solutions for obstacles and anticipate customer needs.
- Proposals: Review customer RFQ documents for technical specifications and scope. Evaluate bid/no bid decisions, develop work statement, preliminary designs, responsibility matrix, risk assessment, cash flow and preliminary project schedules. Develop good understanding of SEL's complete ES portfolio and use it effectively to develop complete solutions. Work with contracts to finalize terms and conditions.
Pullman, WA - SEL's corporate office is located in Eastern Washington where you'll enjoy an unmatched quality of life. Enjoy the smaller town life: country space, freedom from traffic, easy access to recreational activities in nearby mountains, rivers, and forests, as well as great schools and universities.
An Award Winning Company
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets in many different industries, markets, and geographies around the world.
Communication with Applicants
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of résumé or CV submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/Vets/Disabled.
About this Employer
Join an industry leader in power system protection, technology, service, and value. We develop and manufacture products and solutions for the protection, control, monitoring, and automation of electric power systems worldwide.
At SEL you will find challenging work, state-of-the-art tools and technology, and excellent benefits. In addition, you will work beside some of the brightest minds and inventors in the industry.