Program Manager (Protection and Communication Maintenance)
Western Area Power Administration
This position is part of the WAPA-DSW-Desert Southwest. As a Program Manager (Protection and Communication Maintenance), you will be responsible for supervising two subordinate supervisors and for formulating, executing, planning, maintenance, replacement, and rehabilitation of protection, automation, and communication facilities.
**This is not a remote position. The selectee will be required to be physically present at one of the duty location(s) identified.**
Join WAPA’s team and safely “keep the lights on” for millions of Americans. Guided by our Power Forward 2030 strategy, we market and deliver clean, renewable, reliable federal hydropower, which enhances America’s energy security and sustains its economic vitality. As part of the Department of Energy, WAPA provides premier power marketing and transmission services across 17,000+ miles of high-voltage transmission lines in 15 states. We operate and maintain the transmission system, providing energy to customers who serve about 40 million people in the West. Our robust partnerships help us deliver on our mission amid a dynamic energy landscape.
Incumbent serves as the Manager of the Protection and Communications Engineering and Maintenance division for the Desert Southwest Region (DSW) of Western Area Power Administration (WAPA). The manager is responsible for supervising two subordinate supervisors and for formulating, executing, planning, and coordinating the engineering, maintenance, replacement, and rehabilitation of protection, automation, and communication facilities as well as the administration of those functions in associated power contracts.
Conditions of Employment
Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
For this position use the Administrative and Management Position standard which can be found at:
General Schedule Qualification Standards (opm.gov)
In addition, you must meet the specialized experience requirements:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Experience with the design, construction, or maintenance of protection, automation, or communication equipment for an electric utility industry
- Experience with reliability standards from FERC or NERC's reliability entities such as WECC
- Experience leading a multi-faceted team with varying goals, customers, and stakeholders
For this position, education cannot be substituted for experience.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional similar vacancies across DOE.
For general information on government-wide Telework polices visit: www.telework.gov
If selected, you may be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
If selected, you may be required to complete a one-year supervisory probation period.
If selection is made at a lower grade, promotion up to the full performance level may be made without further competition. However, promotion(s) will depend on the performance of the incumbent and are not guaranteed.
Upon reporting, and annually thereafter, the selectee may be required to file one or more financial statements and/or a procurement integrity certification. These certifications may be subject to public disclosure.
You will be required to possess a pair of fully-encased safety-toed footwear meeting the standard ASTM F 2413-05 upon reporting to work.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your responses to the self-assessment questions (True/False, Yes/ No, Multiple Choice questions) will be evaluated and you will be placed into one of three pre-defined quality categories under Category Rating procedures. These categories are "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Electric Utility Fundamentals
Application of Veterans' Preference: If you are a preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet the eligibility criteria; and 2) be rated "well-qualified", which is defined as scoring in the Well Qualified category (or higher).
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
To preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11772708
To apply for this position, you MUST provide a complete application package which includes:
- Your RESUME showing all relevant work experience (paid and unpaid) including: duties performed; full name and address of the each employer; start and end dates (month/day/year); work schedule (part-time, full-time, number of hours if intermittent); salary; and any completed education and training (program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- Transcripts, if specific educational requirements are indicated in this job announcement.Unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned (semester or quarter hour) and final grade is acceptable. It is your responsibility to provide adequate proof that you meet the educational requirements.
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable, DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service; current active duty members- certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions dated within 120 days; SF-15 Form and related documentation; VA letter. For more information visit the USAJOBS Help Center & OPM CHCOC website for VOW information.
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable(e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.) For more information see the OPM Guide to Career Transition.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.