Process Startup & Commissioning Engineer
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Process Startup and Commissioning Engineer
Position Type: Contract
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Reports to: VP of Engineering
PIC Group has an excellent opportunity for a Process Startup and Commissioning Engineer to support commissioning of a new chlorine chemical production facility located in Lake Charles, LA. The Process Startup and Commissioning Engineer will report to the VP of Engineering and be responsible for preparing test plans, procedures, checklists, participating in Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSRs), and leading plant operators and shift supervisors for a successful plant startup and operation currently scheduled for November of 2022. The Process Startup and Commissioning Engineer will be located at the project throughout the construction, commissioning, and plant startup phases.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical basis input for the plant operation team to generate Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) and validation of procedures.
- Review equipment and subsystem design and operation documentation.
- Review installation and maintenance requirements in preparation of commissioning and startup of equipment and training of operators.
- Assist in specifying and procuring smaller components such as control valves, instruments, and specialty interconnection items.
- Perform piping and electrical drawing review to minimize errors and commissioning problems.
- Track equipment and subsystem fabrication and performs quality control and issue resolution.
- Support Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) testing and pre-commissioning activities of equipment and subsystems.
- Assist in evaluating and purchasing spare parts and consumables for initial systems operation.
- Support commissioning shift teams with technical expertise and technical decision-making.
- Review and comment on Distributed Control System (DCS) and Programmable Logic Control (PLC) programming logic and control philosophies; including Commissioning and troubleshooting of DCS and PLC
- Provide review and comment on operating manuals and startup procedures.
- Support successful plant construction and pre-commissioning by:
- Construction technical support, quality control & request for information resolution
- Conduct detailed equipment, subsystem, and Piping & Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID) walk-downs support to document field readiness against design. Lead effort to correct deficiencies when required.
- Work with construction groups to ensure quality requirements have been fully adhered to and documented.
- Conduct detailed equipment, subsystem, and P&ID walk-downs support to document field readiness against design. Lead effort to correct deficiencies when required.
- Support successful plant startup and commissioning by:
- Prepare test plans, procedures, and checklists of how equipment and subsystems will be tested.
- Participate in Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSRs)
- Coordinate equipment vendor support and serves as their primary interface during installation, commissioning, and startup.
- Lead small commissioning team comprised of plant operators and shift supervisors, mechanical and E&I technicians, and construction contractor support to pre-commission, commission, and startup several pieces of equipment and subsystems.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for chemical process commissioning, startup, and training.
- Ability to address challenges while working in a construction and operating plant work environment.
- Effective leadership and communication skills both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Effective computer skills; Microsoft Office software and other discipline-specific software applications.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong mechanical, electrical, process, and controls experience.
- The ability to multi-task.
- Commercial awareness, good command of English, and good presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a proactive team player combined with a solid self-supporting/independent character.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Strong Knowledge of process technology and the technical principles related to chemical, oil & gas, pulp & paper, and the like plants.
- Capable to read, interpret & prepare applicable technical information, including drawings, schematics, P&IDs, procedures, manuals, codes, and specifications.
- Experience with flow metering, instrumentation, valves, pumps, sampling systems, analyzers, flow computers, E&I wiring, and control panels.
- Physical demands-the physical demands of the job, including bending, climbing, sitting, lifting, and driving.
- Work environment: chemical construction site in Louisiana with varied temperature, high noise level, inside and outside, with caustic chemicals.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering
- 7+ years of startup and commissioning work experience.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.